+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with other posters. Small children need personal space too. And a hug or kiss is so much more meaningful when its spontaneous!

I usually just get my DS to give high fives. If he doesn't want to, thats fine too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Close family (and people they see on a regular basis) I ask DD1 and DD2 to give them a kiss and cuddle bye bye but if they say no I leave it. I would never make them do it. I ask them for losses and cuddles before giving them one as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is a massive flirt! He would kiss and cuddle everyone if he had the chance! He blows kisses to random strangers in the supermarket! We are an overly affectionate family though, we kiss , hug and say I love you to my mum/dad/brother/sister/nieces all the time so it's natural for him to imitate as he copies us, DH family are like that now too but i would never force DS to do anything, I just say to go and say goodbye but it's just natural now for him so he always runs up and says hello/good bye and give kisses to family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call me niave/stupid/clueless but I must admit this thread has opened my eyes to see things from a toddlers point of view. I've never forced my daughter to hug or kiss anyone (family or otherwise) but I have *asked* her to in the past, if she said no I would never push it.

Nevertheless, I think I'll rephrase my asking her to hug or kiss to "would you like to".

Thanks for this thread
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 11-07-2012 at 14:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Me&MrMagoo  (11-07-2012)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never forced a child to give a 'kiss or hug' to anyone. Now I even ask my grand children if they have a 'hug for grandma', if they dont, I say, I have a hug for you, is it alright for me to give you a hug?? Always, they have final say. I believe children have to always have the right to say 'No" when anyone is in thier physical space. I always ask permission, never force anyone to do anything. Marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No I don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way. I don't even ask my son to hug or kiss someone. I might say "say hello" or "say goodbye" to whoever, but that's about the extent of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has a sensory processing disorder and touch can be really traumatic for her, so definitely no!

My DS will kiss anyone and everything..... Usually we are trying to make him stop lol!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    What a relief to read this thread! I never make my kids kiss/cuddle anyone they don't want to, I think it's a dangerous message to enforce.

Afew weeks ago I was at a get-together and my friend tried to make her 6yo son give another friend a kiss and cuddle, he refused so she made him sit in the corner until he agreed to kiss them!!
    You're joking! That poor boy.. I don't understand it. I really don't.
    I think it's dangerous as well.. Very dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's wrong to force it. Good manners don't include having to touch other people after all. I might demand she say hello, goodbye and thank you but not demand she touch anyone.

I do say, "go give nanny a hug," or something but it's just my way of telling her to say goodbye. I know she's fine with hugging my mum.