+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If that happens and I can see the child is uncomfortable I always say to give me a high five goodbye instead

Thanks
    Reviews
    Snap smartiecat!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope never!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, never. I never force my children to be affectionate to others if they don't want to be. I will make them say hello or goodbye though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, but I do ask them. They would never be told off if they didn't want to. I only ever ask the boys to kiss/cuddle immediate family, (grandparents, aunts, uncles) But I was brought up in a very European lifestyle so it is "normal" for us to kiss upon greeting, I'm 24 and still kiss and cuddle my grandparents and other family members when we see each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    If you know your cousins will do this to your kids could you try jumping in before and going high 5 goodbye???

I think people forget sometimes adults don't like to be kissed and hugged too and especially since little kids tend to kiss on the lips too!!!
    My cousins do it to their own kids, not mine. I've tried giving them a high five instead but their parents really push them to do the whole kisses/hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I hate when this happens. I don't force DS to hug/kiss people goodbye if he doesn't want to but when he doesn't people look at me like I should be doing something?!
    He usually changes his mind but I let him decide that. Otherwise how will he be able to say no to a stranger if he learns he can't say no to anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I reckon I am going to cop some flack over this when our baby is born and getting older. I really don't like pushing kids to kiss and cuddle goodbye, my nephews have always been forced to do it, when he was younger he didn't usually want to so I used to try and turn it into a game which always left him giggling, that way his mum and dad were appeased and it sort of diffused the discomfort.
    I HATED being made to kiss and cuddle people goodbye, I was ok with grandparents, brothers and parents but I have a very large number of aunts/uncles and cousins and could never quite get my head around who was meant to be hugged goodbye and who wasn't. You could be guaranteed that on the times I just hugged everyone that someone would start taking the **** out of me.
    I don't want to put my kids through that.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on who it is. If it's my mum or sister then yeah I will ask him to give them a kiss goodbye because he doesn't get to see them often, and who knows when the next time will be?
    I guess that's my "You never know what might happen" brain in action *chuckle*.

But if they're friends of mine and DH's that DS doesn't know that well or hasn't shown affection to during the visit then I won't push it. Generally he's easy to work out who he'll give a kiss or a hug to, because he'll physically touch them during the visit ie. tapping on the shoulder to hand a toy, or holding their hand to drag them somewhere to show them something.
    If he does that, I know he's comfortable enough for a cuddle or kiss goodbye. Otherwise I don't push it.

But I do like to make sure that he gives my mum and my sister a kiss or a cuddle because I remember years ago my grandmother said to me "Your mum never kisses me hello or goodbye" and she was a bit upset by it because it made her feel like she wasn't important. I don't want my mum to have the same experiences, even though she's the one that does it to my grandmother lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a relief to read this thread! I never make my kids kiss/cuddle anyone they don't want to, I think it's a dangerous message to enforce.

Afew weeks ago I was at a get-together and my friend tried to make her 6yo son give another friend a kiss and cuddle, he refused so she made him sit in the corner until he agreed to kiss them!!