+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    I agree with this statement. It makes my blood boil when I see the family of a proven murderer/molester/rapist standing by them insisting that they are either innocent or don't deserve punishment. Disgusting.
    You haven't been in their shoes.

Obviously it's VERY difficult to come to terms with and no-one wishes their child was dead.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    I was only agreeing with the "my child would be dead to me" sentiment. They really would be. I would want nothing to do with them anymore, if they were proven to have committed such acts. Hell, if I could I'd be the one to lock them up and throw away the key. Then probably want to go and throw myself off a cliff for being responsible for bringing someone like that into the world.

But I'm getting OT now!
    Once again, I guarantee it's not that easy.

Most people love their children unconditionally with everything they have. I find it difficult to believe that such love could just be 'switched off'.

It's not that easy to disassociate yourself and walk away (otherwise more families of those convicted would do just that )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Most people love their children unconditionally with everything they have. I find it difficult to believe that such love could just be 'switched off'.

It's not that easy to disassociate yourself and walk away (otherwise more families of those convicted would do just that )
    I agree with this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Wait, they are doing a job that they are getting paid for, that means that people in the armed forces are all murderers. I am completely against war myself - but I would never, ever call someone in the armed forces a murderer.
    Some have been found guilty of being murderers by military court. In the military killing has to be in self defense and their are rules of engagement. People that break those rules are charged. If you're a prison employee killing someone, Thats your job and it's legal... But its not self defence.That's the difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can still love your child unconditionally, without loving what they did. I think she is talking about the ones that refuse to believe or even acknowledge that their child did anything wrong, when it has been proven.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't talking about the actual murderers who are in the armed forces, who do dodgy things when they shouldn't. I was talking about the entire armed forces, which I suspect you already know! Self defence or not, it is part of their jobs, just like those prison workers who carry out the death penalty. I find it *very* interesting that people call them murderers, when they are clearly following a directive, that can be traced straight back to the top. So really - Obama is the murdered no? He is the head of the country after all.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Some have been found guilty of being murderers by military court. In the military killing has to be in self defense and their are rules of engagement. People that break those rules are charged. If you're a prison employee killing someone, Thats your job and it's legal... But its not self defence.That's the difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You haven't been in their shoes.

Obviously it's VERY difficult to come to terms with and no-one wishes their child was dead.
    No I haven't, so I can only express how I feel right now. If I sit here and imagine my (desperately yearned for) child being accused of a terrible crime and proven to have committed it, my imaginary future self would want to cut them off and have nothing to do with them ever again. Btw, I insinuated they'd be "dead to me", not that I wanted them dead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a difficult question. I'm on the fence.

Different people would have different opinions based on their experiences. For the families of victims like Anita Cobby or Ebony Simpson, they might have wanted the option.

For violent crime on the innocent, i think i'm for it. If what happened to Anita Coby happened to my sister/mother/daughter i'd want them executed. Or if someone did to my child what was done to Ebony Simpson, i'd probably want the death penalty as an option. I know that these criminals were sentenced to life in prison, never to be released, but i wonder how hard their life actually is in jail (i have no idea). So I find it a hard topic to come to an opinion on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I find it harder to imagine ever not wanting to have a relationship with my children no matter what. So often mental illness, drug addiction, other factors come into play, it isn't just black and white. On the flipi side, if something happened to my child, I would never get over it but I honestly can't ever imagine wanting someone dead.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (11-07-2012),Shoopuf  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    You can still love your child unconditionally, without loving what they did. I think she is talking about the ones that refuse to believe or even acknowledge that their child did anything wrong, when it has been proven.
    Exactly! You said it so much more eloquently than me.

And I wouldn't "stop loving" them. You can love someone desperately and still disassociate yourself from them. I'd still love (and mourn) the memory of them before they did something dreadful. But from that point on they are not the creature I loved and cherished anymore. They have made a choice to go against everything I stand for, so how could I stand by them?