+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't believe in the death penalty.

It doesn't reduce crime rates, costs way more to have someone on death row and then kill them than life imprisonment.

I don't believe it is morally right.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 11-07-2012 at 07:12.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshinemoonlight View Post
    I agree with the death penalty

Forgot to add why I agree for it.

I only agree with it for the worst of the worst crimes
    - child related crimes eg: child rape/molestation/murder/abuse etc
    -Serial Killers
    - Premeditated murder
    Etc
    This. I think that the people who do these things do not deserve to live. Life is a gift. Why reward such behaviour.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (11-07-2012),Beck87  (11-07-2012),halloweendee  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Two wrongs and all of that ....

I think the reason we don't throw criminals into a cell with no food and no water, and the reason we don't lock them up literally for 'life', is because most people are capable of rehabilitation.

The whole process, and every different individual circumstance are far more complex than "an eye for an eye". What about a mother who was suffering from severe PND and unknowingly harmed her baby? Should she die?

And that's only when the person is actually guilty. What about the margin for error? Take, for example, the Lindy Chamberlain case. And hers is not alone. There are many, many cases such as these, where people have been wrongly incarcerated for various crimes. We just don't hear about them as much in the media.

To me, the whole thing seems childish, sadistic and uncivilized.

So no, I don't agree with the death penalty.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (11-07-2012),Lillynix  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The death penalty is pure hypocrisy. It is never ok to take the life of another person. What kind of message does that send to children? It will only promote the taking of lives to punish those we are unhappy with, rather than reduce the murder rate, in my opinion.

The judicial system is also imperfect and, particularly for high profile cases where there is pressure to prosecute someone, there is a risk that innocent people will die.

Having said that, I agree with PPs that the current system is grossly inadequate, particularly for sex offences in many instances. However, my preference is actually a refocus on 'treatment' as opposed to 'punishment' in this case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baburun View Post
    The whole drain on resources thing of having people spend their whole lives in jail does bother me, but even then I can't bring myself to accept the alternative.
    Killing someone against their will, even if that person has done horrible things and really doesn't deserve to live just doesn't sit right with me. It seems a rather primitive "eye for an eye" sort of justice.

But more importantly - the legal system does make mistakes, and innocent people can be wrongly found guilty. For as long as there's a chance of that happening, I don't think the death penalty should be used.

^^^ this exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Those who are saying life should be life, not 30 years...well life in prison in the USA usually life. I don't think every murderer should get life, either. Every case needs to be judged individually.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-07-2012),halloweendee  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the death penalty, some people just don't deserve to breath for the crimes they commit. Why should tax payers pay for their life in jail where they recieve priveledges like tv time and can buy little treats from the food shop and can sit there and relive their sick little life before prison and have a pen and paper to write to their loved ones. bah makes me sick, I wish australia would harden up and bring it in, maybe if they did we wouldn't have such an expanding pedophelia problem here...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mixinitup For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (11-07-2012),halloweendee  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's cold hearted and disgusting. Australia made the right choice in getting rid of it. How can anyone think murdering a person is ever ok? And for the record, it takes more of your precious tax dollars to kill a person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    People who commit horrendous crimes do not deserve to be in society. Society should not have to financially support sickos for the remainder of their natural lives. I think it is rather difficult as you don't want to execute and innocent person, but I like the idea of removing scum from the face of the earth.. or perhaps putting them in a big cage and selling tickets..
    Last edited by Tainted; 11-07-2012 at 07:39.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (11-07-2012),halloweendee  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm against, mainly because what I'd someone is wrongly accused?

I also thinking that killing some of the ppl who do horrendous crimes is also kind of letting them off too easy! They should b made to work and pay for their crimes!!! And have to live out their life alone and punished. Ppl like serial rapists, murders, torcherers and paedofiles should b made to pay!! But not death, no.