+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The ones who do horrible things to kids do not cop it in jail, they are put with likeminded sickos who aren't going to touch them. Bugger the death penalty, we just need more vigilantes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-07-2012),LillyPonds  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Right now, I am against. BUT I think that I might end up changing my opinion from against to for, as crimes are becoming more and more heinous as time passes.

I also can't help but think "an eye for an eye" when I read about something like baby Brianna.

Thanks
    Reviews
    death penalty's just pointless. who gives one the right to take away their life? its the most precious thing. and the movie's great of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't agree with the death penalty on the grounds for 'an eye for an eye" or -that it would make me feel better about my loss (hypothetically), but rather - it would mean that that person would never, ever be able to do anything awful again. 80% of pedophiles reoffend. As far as I am concerned we are doing something very wrong regarding the release of offenders back into the community.

Also, some people are just truly psychopaths, there is no amount of rehabilitation or therapy that is going to change them. These are the people I am talking about for the death penalty.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (13-07-2012),peanuthead  (13-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    I *think* it costs more to kill someone then jail them.
    I really would not be surprised if this is the case. People seem to think very simplistic about these kinds of issues - oh it's just an injection, that would only cost a few hundred bucks! But could you imagine the beuracracy surrounding it?! I don't think it would be more cost effective at all.
    Last edited by Benji; 12-07-2012 at 11:36. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There need to be harsher crimes for things such as rape, paedophilia and torture IMO. Those things, in my eyes, are a lot worse than a "bang and you're dead," style murder.

It would be heartbreaking if my child was shot and killed by a murderer... but I actually believe it may be worse if they were kidnapped, tortured and repeatedly raped... and come out the other end. I also think you'd have to be a much worse person to do all of that... rather than just point a gun and pull a trigger. If you can do that to another person and not feel hideous at their cries/their pain/etc... then you're someone who is very scary indeed.

I also DO believe that if someone kills another person, legally or not, it's still murder. You're STILL killing someone, not in self-defence, regardless of the legalities of it. It's still taking another life, against their will, and its still on your hands if you do it.

"Murder," is also kind of tricky IMO. Is it someone who randomly murders people because they get a sick pleasure from it, or is it someone who's murdered their child's abuser/their own abuser? I think both of those are WORLDS apart, and should not be treated at all the same.

As I said earlier too... by killing someone you are doing more damage than just removing them from life. You're potentially hurting THEIR children, their mothers, too.

I also think suggesting that the people who are hte only ones worthy of a say are those who's loved ones have been victims of these crimes. An emotion-driven decision is a dangerous one IMO. It's probably why so many people end up killed in the first place - because someone else cannot think rationally.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (12-07-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If anyone ever lays a hand on my children I will kill them myself. The US precedent was set recently when a father wasnt even charged/sent to trial as it was in defence of his child (he walked in during the act).
    Any gaol time I DID serve (though it would be unlikely, as I have never committed a crime, and was acting in defence) would be well worth knowing that the scum that hurt my child could never do it again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (12-07-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And while I will no doubt be guilty of taking another life, I accept that choice as part of my karma, and in my judgement of myself I will have done the right thing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    I agree with other posters that there needs to be harsher punishments, like that "life" should mean life and not 30 years. They should get the basic of needs to survive -water, bland food and hourly exercise etc.

People who commit very horrible crimes should not be aloud to leave prison unless it's via a body bag. By this I mean for when the die naturally with no assistance etc.

Also death can be seen as an easy out.

I think the law system itself is one bug joke. You have people who rape, murder etc being let off with a small jail time and people who steal getting sent away for years.

Someone needs to take a good look at the system and change it.
    In Qld, mandatory sentencing has just been introduced for second time sexual offenders against children. Basically, it's "two strikes and you're out" (or in, really) as you get a mandatory life (minimum 20 year) sentence the second time, and any discretion by judges in giving shorter sentences in these cases has been removed.

This was based on an election commitment by the new Queensland government, and seems appealing on the face of it.

However, a range of submissions from groups with extensive experience in the area (including the Qld Police, the Bar Association, the Law Society, groups that deal with victims) have recommended against some or all of the legislation, as it can have some unintended consequences, including:

- as the minimum sentence is the same for murder and serious sexual offences, offenders may be more likely to kill their child victims as there is no incentive to keep them alive to report them
    - the majority of offences (in excess of 90%) are interfamily, so there will be more pressure on child victims not to report given the mandatory life sentence
    - there will be no incentive for offenders to offer an early plea of guilty, meaning that child victims will often be forced to endure a trial and give evidence
    - fewer guilty pleas means more trials which mean more court resources. the courts are already experiencing a backlog of trials, and the Qld government is not increasing court funding, meaning victims may be waiting years for an outcome
    - it costs about $70,000 per year per prisoner in Queensland, so longer sentences cost the state more, without necessarily having a deterrant effect, plus the flow on economic effects of that person's family losing an income, social impact - arguably the money could be better spent in rehabilitation
    - where mandatory sentencing has been introduced, judges, juries and prosecutors try and find other ways to circumvent it where they think it is unfair given the individual circumstances, eg. by prosecuting for lesser offences or not finding guilty

While I agree that this sort of offending is revolting, quick fix solutions probably aren't going to change anything and may actually make life worse for victims.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (12-07-2012),MissMuppet  (12-07-2012),SassyMummy  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Many people have said to throw these sickos in jail and let them live out the rest of their days with the knowledge of wat they have done. I can imagine for many (and these are the ones I believe DESERVE the death penalty), reliving their crime over and over again would give them some sort of sick satisfaction. That is not punishment.

I wonder how many people who commit such heinous crimes actually feel remorse for what they have done.

No, you can't paint all criminals with the same brush. I don't think a serial killer is comparable to someone who kills a person to protect their family. It would need to be determined on a case by case basis who was deserving of death, but I dont doubt that some of the most sickest criminals are.

If someone hurt one of my babies in such an awful, disgusting way, I would want them dead. And i couldnt guarantee i'd be able to control the instinct to ensure that happened.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub