+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    For all the reasons listed here, I'm against it, however, if the offender wanted to die rather than stay in prison for life (a life sentence where life means life), then I think that should be accommodated. Give them enough sleeping pills and let them take their own lives. No one else needs to be responsible, it's their choice. I think a few would take this option.
    I totally agree with this!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    For all the reasons listed here, I'm against it, however, if the offender wanted to die rather than stay in prison for life (a life sentence where life means life), then I think that should be accommodated. Give them enough sleeping pills and let them take their own lives. No one else needs to be responsible, it's their choice. I think a few would take this option.
    They shouldn't be given a choice or accommodated. Why should they be? Did they accommodate their victims and give them a choice? Stuff them. They can rot in jail.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    They shouldn't be given a choice or accommodated. Why should they be? Did they accommodate their victims and give them a choice? Stuff them. They can rot in jail.
    It's my opinion. You don't have to agree.

I say-Give them a choice of live with what you did or die for what you did, at your own hand. Don't make anyone else a killer because of your actions.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-07-2012),Benji  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Against, to me too many innocent men have died and the guilty ones who deserved to die is not a good enough reason. you cannot bring back the dead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For paedophiles, absolutely 100%, I think I could even pull the trigger!!!

The rest, no I don't, they can serve their time in jail...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Against. I'd like to think the human race can progress beyond morality couched in terms of 'an eye for an eye'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This topic sure is controversial for a reason. I am one of those annoying fence sitters.

For death penalty: because I just can't justify my taxes going to sustaining the scum of the earth for 25 years. Particularly Pedophiles and murderers

Against: the last person to die from the death penalty in Australia was found to be innocent years later.
    Ending their life is the easy option, it would be far harder living the remainder of your days in prison

12. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I *think* it costs more to kill someone then jail them. I dislike it as too many innocent people have had their lives taken. You cannot bring them back. IF you want someone to die to make you feel better about your loss IMO that makes you no better.

Coming from someone who has horrible things happen to them, I feel for the innocent people accused. I could not imagine the pain of family knowing/finding out their love one died for a mistake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    As someone not involved in any cases where someone close to me has been murdered or raped or anything... I can unemotionally say I am against it.

Ask me how I feel about if anyone hurts my daughter though and I bet my thoughts won't be the same.

I guess I am against it because I think it does no real punishing of the perpetrator but punishes others instead. Imagine a kid with a deadbeat dad who kills someone and goes to jail. That's lousy, obviously, but there is a chance that if that man ever gets out he can have some sort of life with that child... Or maybe it will just mean that when he does die of old age in jail, his kid has grown up and had time to get to an age where he can process that information properly... Rather than just knowing his dad was put to death. It might also mean that child can come to his father with questions he wants answers to. It might be cathartic for that child to have that option... Rather than being screwed up because he knew his dad was killed by the state.

I think the same can be said of relatives of victims. It might be hard on them when they get to the point when they just want to ask why. Or even just yell at the criminal a bit really.

I'm also of the belief that we can eff it up too easily... I'd rather horrible people live out their life in prison than risk one innocent person be put to death unfairly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    That said though, I would probably be okay with people like Josef Fritzl being killed off. Though I'm not sure that would be beneficial for the children he fathered with his daughter. I think they deserve the right to have a time when they can confront him if they like. His daughter too of course.