+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is all (well i am presuming) hypothetical anyway.

I don't think you could ever say how you would feel till it happened. If ywere are a mother and your son raped and brutally murdered a child for no reason, you would not know how you would be affected by that until it happened. Till then, its just speculation.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-07-2012),LillyPonds  (12-07-2012),Maybelline  (11-07-2012),Theophania  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    They have a number of people and none of them know which one gave the lethal injection. Too horrible even to think about. People who do that job are, themselves, murderers. An eye for an eye and the world goes blind...
    This is a pretty far stretch and I totally disagree. They are professionals carrying out a sentence from a court of law. That means that every veteran who killed someone in a war is a murderer.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-07-2012),halloweendee  (11-07-2012),LillyPonds  (12-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    This is a pretty far stretch and I totally disagree. They are professionals carrying out a sentence from a court of law. That means that every veteran who killed someone in a war is a murderer.
    I also disagree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you beebs for totally understanding what I was trying to say. I'm going to step away now because what I was talking about was OT anyway, it just stemmed from something another PP said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have heard that in the States they have sadly found that quite a few who have been out to death have later been found innocent or to have had an unfair trial. It's just not something I want to risk. I don't think it belongs in a civilised society.

I also believe the families of victims are entitled to know why the offender commited the crime. This is often a natural part of grieving and impossible if we go around bumping them off.

I had bookmarked an old website but since lost it - testimonies from families of victims who were against the death penalty. There were loads. One man said he never wants another father to feel how he does.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (11-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (11-07-2012),MissMuppet  (11-07-2012),Shoopuf  (11-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No we don't, I didn't say anything about what I would do or feel if my child did something horrifying. Because honestly. I have no idea. I have no idea what I would do, or how I would react. Who does really know, unless you have lived it?

I am just saying, that I can see what she is trying to say.

But there truly are monsters in the world, horrible, horrible monsters. I find it interesting that you wouldn't even understand why someone would cut their child off if they were one of those said monsters.
    Thank you for outlining what I do and don't understand, however you have misinterpreted my posts. Too often I read about mothers who state that they would want nothing to do with their child in that situation and would walk away in disgust. Yet most mothers don't, and there are reasons as to why.

The posts in question actually *criticise* those families who stand by their children in those situations (I recall her stating that it's disgusting?!).

I am merely pointing out that while it would be very difficult to fathom ones feelings on this matter if you have not experienced it, it is not as easy as simply disowning your child. Every one of those mothers wants to believe that their child didn't commit the crime. It's not disgusting - it's love. And hope. It's also fear of a life without their child who they nurtured in their womb and raised from birth, and a million other emotions. I'm simply pointing out that it is not so easily done.

Sure, some families can easily walk away. They might not wish them dead, but can move on. However it is far from disgusting if you can't and don't (and seeing families grasp onto that hope shouldn't make your blood 'boil').

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I think it's obvious that we both have a different perception of the term 'unconditional love'.
    Have you read We Need To Talk About Kevin. I wonder if that kid was a monster and his Mother didn't love him, or he was a monster because his Mother didn't love him?

The death penalty has only been raised here in extreme crimes..what about in countries where the sentence is handed down over adultery, smuggling drugs, stealing, trying to escape your country? What about then?

I think humans have always been incredibly ********. We are trying to create a civilised utopia, which is fantastic, but it largely sweeps under the rug, some of the more base primal instincts. One of those being, an eye for an eye. If someone hurt my daughter, I would tear them apart with my own bare hands. I can rip a phone book in half when I get really angry, raaaar, I am the Hulk. That is my basic instinct. To really really hurt you and make you bleed in a million pieces.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

austmum  (11-07-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In a perfect world, where there was absolute certainty of a person's guilt and no chance WHATSOEVER of the death penalty being abused, then I would say I would be for it.
    But then, how do we decide who deserves it? A person with a brain tumor might not deserve it. A person with a history of abuse might not deserve it. But then again they might, because how are we to know if that reason is the cause of their actions or if they would have done it anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't buy into all this "eye for an eye" and "playing god" stuff myself. Some people do the most horrendous things and get out with hardly any time spent in jail. You guys talk about "who has the right to determine someones death" etc, well who gives the right for a fuddy old judge to "determine" that a child's repeated abuse was worth 18 months in Jail. The whole system is f*cked!

There was a case here in Australia, I remember reading about it, where a 4 year old was viciously raped by a man who had mental health issues. He ended up serving no time, not even in a forensic hospital or anything. Now how the heck does that happen. He obviously needs something, if it isn't jail it is psychiatric help. And what message is that sending to the little girl and all the children of the world? An adult raping you is bad, unless he has mental health issues!!?? What the F*** - seriously. That is just off.

With regarding to chopping child molesters penis' off, it doesn't work. They did a study in the US and made some convicted men impotent with drugs, and they found they just went out and murdered their victims instead of raping them.
    That is a problem with the system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Witwicky, You are accusing me of misinterpreting your posts, when you have done the exact same to me.

I think we are talking about different things again, I am talking about the families who refuse to believe any wrong doing on their child's part - even if it has been proven.

Anyway - this thread really isn't worth fighting over.

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Thank you for outlining what I do and don't understand, however you have misinterpreted my posts. Too often I read about mothers who state that they would want nothing to do with their child in that situation and would walk away in disgust. Yet most mothers don't, and there are reasons as to why.

The posts in question actually *criticise* those families who stand by their children in those situations (I recall her stating that it's disgusting?!).

I am merely pointing out that while it would be very difficult to fathom ones feelings on this matter if you have not experienced it, it is not as easy as simply disowning your child. Every one of those mothers wants to believe that their child didn't commit the crime. It's not disgusting - it's love. And hope. It's also fear of a life without their child who they nurtured in their womb and raised from birth, and a million other emotions. I'm simply pointing out that it is not so easily done.

Sure, some families can easily walk away. They might not wish them dead, but can move on. However it is far from disgusting if you can't and don't (and seeing families grasp onto that hope shouldn't make your blood 'boil').