+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To add to that, DD's first pets were two pairs of doe rats for her fourth birthday.

Before that, she helped me hand rear the sugar gliders, and had an active role in training three of our four dogs, as well as a few fosters along the way.

Because of our heavy involvement in a very wide variety of animal care, she's grown up with an extremely disciplined and responsible view of pets.
    She begged for two years before she got her rats, but I refused until she was old enough to care for little lives herself.

She's young, but our rules are still the same. Forget to feed, water, clean or play, and you lose your rights to have your own pets. It's been almost 2 years and she has not missed a single day caring for them.
    I want her to understand the gravity of having total responsibility for another living being and so far she's been just fantastic; I'm very proud. It's a difficult concept for a young child.

Wait until your daughter is older and has more of a personality. If she's naturally mature and responsible with animals, go for it!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Trampoline.

A cat is a wonderful companion however they can find children stressful, I have heard getting a kitten for kids is the better way to go than a full grown cat as they cope better with the noise etc.

However I think if your LO was a bit older before getting a kitten then she would be able to better understand caring for one etc.

So I think a trampoline is an excellent choice for a 2 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    there are so many unwanted animals (kittens, cats, puppies, dogs, rabbits etc) on petrescue.com.au
    unfortunately probably there because owners bought them without sitting back, thinking through and committing to the responsibility prior to purchasing them from pet shops or puppy farms

honestly if you are serious with your question, buy the trampoline.
    to get a kitten for a 2yo imo is not realistic at all. get her one of those toys that act like real pets. a trampoline is a great incentive to get outside, keep active and have fun.

to buy an animal you should be thinking about it for months and committing to it. making plans for situations like vet bills, going on holidays etc. is it going to be an inside cat? do you need to purchase a cat run etc.

if you do happen to go ahead with the kitten, please please please at least do the right thing and purchase it from your local cat shelter. it will then be sterilised and up to date with immunisations. and for the sake of all the birds in your garden keep it inside.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

austmum  (11-07-2012),share a book  (12-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Definitely a trampoline!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say the tramp for her 2nd birthday and the kitten for next year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would buy the trampoline and get a kitten from an animal rescue organisation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

share a book  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    trampoline

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Trampoline, kitten when she's older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Trampoline

DD is 3 and still WAY too rough with my cats even though she thinks she is being nice and gentle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go for the trampoline.

Cats are often not too keen on being around little children, and will run away from them.

We have a very long suffering cat, that our 2 year old follows around the house. He tolerates her attempts to stroke him (and she is gentle), but 'tolerate' is the operative word, and as soon as she cackles/ shrieks/ makes loud noises then he's off.

I asked her once if she loved him, and she said (very sadly). "Hmmm... he runs away..."

A trampoline is a present that will definitely not run away!

Kittens are also less predictable than older cats. They have very sharp little claws - even when they don't mean to get you with them - and they are quite vulnerable to being squeezed and squashed. Unfortunately I know of a toddler who accidentally suffocated their kitten by cuddling it too much/ hard.