+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Trampoline

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would get the trampoline if unsure. Pets aren't an undecided, spur of the moment thing. The cat will be with you for more than a decade.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-07-2012),soccer mum  (11-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Trampoline. We got my DS one for his 2nd birthday and he uses it ALL the time. It has a net surrounding it, so no broken bones or serious injuries from falling off.

However, I disagree that you shouldn't get a toddler a pet as a present...I think a pet is a wonderful present for a child of any age, as long as the parent acknowledges that they will be caring for it, and involves the child in its everyday care as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trampoline

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Trampoline for the young'n, kitty for yourself :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't disagree with kids having pets and calling them their own, I just disagree with bringing in a pet, which is a large, long-term commitment, for a baby's 2nd birthday. My daughter was 5 when our dog came to live with us, and 8 when our kitten moved in. I just get nervous when pets are given as presents. Many at the over-crowded shelters are unwanted presents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

CMF  (10-07-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Animals are not novelty gifts for babies. It's not a pretty little toy.

A cat is commonly a 15+ year commitment.
    If you end up not wanting it, will she?

Are you willing to spend the money buying a well bred cat for optimum health and longevity? Keep it inside all the time or spend the money to build an outdoor enclosure? Pay the yearly registration fees?
    You need to buy a high quality wet food and feed it for the rest of it's life. If it develops a food allergy, are you willing to spend quite a lot of money paying for a special diet?
    You need to pay for regular worming and flea treatments. Grooming if it's a long haired cat. Daily litter care, not to mention buying litter on a regular basis. Daily interaction.

What if it has a severe emergency and you need to shell out hundreds, or thousands, for it's veterinary care? Would you do it?
    What if it needs daily, expensive medication?
    If it develops renal failure and you're required to learn to do SubQ fluids {injecting under the skin} at home to keep it alive, would you?

When she's older, will she bother to do any of these things?

A pet of ANY sort is something that needs to be thought over extremely carefully and every aspect discussed.

Responsible ownership isn't buying a young animal for an amusing pastime, it's a lifelong commitment.
    First pets set the foundations for how they treat animals in later life, whether it's with respect and responsibility, or with a throw away, careless attitude.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (10-07-2012),halloweendee  (11-07-2012),IndigoJ  (11-07-2012),MissMuppet  (11-07-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Trampolines, u can come inside and be away from it when u get tired/bored of it and not need to worry about it. Or if ur child stops liking it you dont have a moral duty to it.

Yeh... Pets are a huge responsibility, if u want a cat, get one, but as a present to a 2 yr old? Doesnt seem...right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a 2yr old if opt for a trampoline

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't do cats but my parents bought me our Labrador for my 3rd birthday ( they said it was for me but obviously didn't expect a 3 year old to be solely responsible!) he was our family pet for 18 years ( died just before my 21st) it was not only a great experience growing up with a dog but my responsibility increased with age, first water, then feeding, then walking and grooming etc we plan to do the same for DS when he is 3, DH was never allowed pets at all growing up so wants DS to have one
    I'm sure OP you know what's involved in owning a pet so I think it's a great idea ( buy the tramp for Xmas!)