+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving house with an 1yr old

We have just purchased our first house!

Now I'm after tips and experiences from you lovely bubhubbers about moving with a bubba, DD will be turning 1 the week we move. How did your bubbas cope with moving?

All advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing, we will be moving a week before DD1 turns 1 too. Congratulations on the new house, very exciting!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS was 14 months when we moved. Try to settle in as quickly as possible, and try not to have too many visitors. We had all our parents helping unpack and helping put together flat pack furniture etc for a few days after we moved in, and i think he was a bit confused about who lived there, as all these people were still in the house when he went to bed. That unsettled him a bit. So try to avoid visitors being around at bedtime! We also tried to configure his room as similar to his old room as possible- cot on the left side facing the door, bookshelf along the opposite wall, armchair at the head of the cot, etc. That way when he woke he would see familiar things. Umm... That's all I can remember I'll come back if i think of anything else

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Set up your child's room straight away. Make sure all the boxes for that room are clearly labelled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on the new house! We moved when DS was 16 months. On top of that DH left for an emergency overseas trip the very next day so our life was a little topsy turvey for a couple weeks. Best thing I can suggest is keeping things as consistent as possible. Keep to the same bedtime routine, don't make too many changes (i.e. don't use it as an excuse to move her into a bed for example) and try to limit visitors if you can. Make sure you take some of her toys in the car with you and not with any movers and then unpack them quickly. I put DS into an occasional daycare for 2 days so he wasn't underfoot. He had been a few times before and loved going because someone played with him all day. It made the move a lot less stressful for me. Finally I excepted DS was going to regress a bit- especially with sleep. We had a few very rough nights and I just let him come into our bed.

Good Luck!