THIS is not just another story about the dangers of sexting, although it starts out that way. It is so much more, and none of it positive.
Several years ago, friends of mine with a teenage daughter came home to find her passed out on the bathroom floor. The 13-year-old had swallowed whatever was in the bathroom cupboard, which, luckily for all, meant she had a stomach full of laxatives and aspirin, which didn't require a hospital pump.
It had shocked the parents that their little girl was depressed. The shy, self-conscious loner had seemed so happy before the incident. She had finally made friends at school and talked of having her first ''boyfriend''.
After the parents reported the matter to the school and demanded an explanation, a tragic story unfolded. Their daughter had been persuaded to send a photo of herself naked to her crush, who promptly sent it to everyone else in his address book, treating it like a swap card. Within hours the photo had spread throughout the school and the next afternoon, the girl went home and ingested the bathroom cabinet contents to shut out her shame.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/soc...#ixzz20DTWpbio