+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding and new pregnancy...

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows the go with breastfeeding and falling pregnant...
    A friend of mine has recently had her 1st baby (4 months old) and is wanting to get pregnant again.

Will pregnancy affect her breastfeeding bub number 1?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fell pregnant when my DD was 5 months while breastfeeding didn't cause any issues until I hit the 6 month mark of my pregnancy (she was 11mo) where mmy milk changed completely to colostrum and my daughter self weaned. My supply was basically down to nothing.

She needs to make sure she is eating and drinking enough to sustain pregnancy and breastfeeding and be prepared that her child may self wean at some stage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumbleine For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope, I was still breastfeeding DS1 when i fell pregnant with DS2, and I know plenty of other mums that do/did the same. Some decide to wean before the new baby is born and others go on to tandem feed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fell pregnant while still breastfeeding (ds was 10months) It took such a toll on my body though, hair started falling out, skin breakouts and skin really dry (flaking off) that I used the next 2 months to wean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fell pregnant when my DD was 13 months and I was still breastfeeding. AF returned at 8 months. She weaned herself at 16 months. She had been reducing her feeds but I did notice just before she weaned that a couple times she'd attach and then pull off and look at me with a funny face, I think my milk was changing in taste due to hormones and she didnt like it. Some people continue feeding through their pregnancies and even tandem feed when the next arrives but at 16 months I was happy to let her wean and stopped offering the boob.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pinklily33 For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (11-07-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've breast fed through 2 pregnancies successfully DS1 got a bit fussy at the end but with my next pregnancy there wasn't many issues. I went onto tandem feed both times. I was recently pregnant again but this time it wasn't going to work out, my supply took a massive hit quiet early on and DD was very fussy and upset with her boobies, I decided not to continue the pregnancy for that and other for a few other reasons. I think it's important to remember that while sometimes it can work other time it doesn't and you can't really control it.

Adventures in Tandem Feeding is a good book

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breastfeeding could keep her from ovulating, then she wont fall pregnant. My second baby was my first ovulation after my first at 10 months. I breastfed him for another 4 months into my pregancy but had to stop as I was having loads of issues. Most ladies can breastfeed while pregnant, I have complicated pregnancies so it is not a good idea. Only reason I continued for so long was because my first born had a dairy allergy an he was refusing to eat and not holding much other than breast milk down. I guess it just depends on the person and her pregnancy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanne For This Useful Post:

smileymum  (11-07-2012)