+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We shop in a few places as we know where to get what that suits our needs.

Our average weekly shop is $130 on a good week $200 on a bad week for 2 x Adults, 1 x 10 month old and a large dog.

We spent around $30-$50 at Aldi per week.
    Around $80-$110 at Coles per week (pending on Nappies).
    Around $20 at the Butchers.

We don't eat too much junk, DP's lunch bills take a lot in the finances. He has 2 x Meat and Salad sandwiches for lunch, 3 x packets of chips, 2 x museli bars and thats daily.

We aren't big soft drinkers anymore. We are basically just a house of water drinkers now. DP likes cordial sometimes (still drinks his 2lts of water a day) but DD and I drink water.

Big contributors to our shops are the need for nappies approx fortnightly, formula every week and wipes. But we like the Aldi wipes and think they are great.

We also buy Dog Pro for Cam as its a 20kg bag for $29 equalling $1.45 per kg. This lasts about 4 weeks ($7.25 p/w). She can get very weighty very easily so we have to watch what she eats but she gets alot fresh too from our butcher who cuts her all sorts of yummy stuff.

I Would love to cut our food bill down but just not sure how to go about it.

I do know one of our issues is that DP and I eat too much in portion size to how we should. So we don't eat bad but we will eat a whole big plate full. So portion control is something we need to watch with us both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours is between $80 and $120 for me and dd for a week and dh for 3-4 meals aw week( he has night commitments and has a protein shake then)
    That includes nappies for dd and snacks for me for work...

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Shades of grey, you could cut down pn your bill if you made snacks for your partner from scratch, 3x chips and 2x muesli bars a day would end up costing a fortune.

Things like savoury muffins, mini quiches, scrolls etc can be made rather cheaply, frozen so they last longer and would be more filling maybe?

If i buy pre packages snack stuff my bill goes up by 20-30 bux compared to if i make stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're currently spending $300-$400 a week for 2 adults and a 2-year-old. Everything is certified organic and we only eat unprocessed food. I wish I could cut down a bit but don't want to cut anything out. Spending $30 a week just on frozen blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, $28 for a 500ml bottle of olive oil, $30 for coconut oil and close to $10 for a tube of toothpaste it's easy for everything to add up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine is roughly 150 per week for 2 adults, 4 dogs (2 big, 2 small), 2 cats, 6 chickens, and a ferret.

It is usually:
    *$100 a week at the supermarket (sometimes I go a bit over budget but usually not by more then $20).
    *$145 a month at the agriculture stockists for all our animal food.
    *$70 a month at the butchers to bulk buy our meat.

In the supermarket, I try to always buy things on special. I buy my veggies frozen because our local produce is a bit dodgy and fresh veggies go off very fast (even when stored correctly). I do still have to get potatoes, pumpkin, mushrooms and onions fresh. I get seasonal fruit and have a few fruit trees as well The chickens aren't laying yet but when they do I'll have lovely fresh eggs and that should cut my grocery bill down by a little bit too
    I find bulk buying meat from the butchers is really good, its a lot cheaper and you get great quality meat.

We have been buying cloth nappies for when the baby is born, and I plan to breast feed (I'll also be making my own baby food when the time comes) so I'm hoping the supermarket bills stay roughly the same for a while yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spend between $100-$200, depending on the week, for a family of 4, plus a dog and a cat.
    I usually get my meat from Tasman meats as it is so much cheaper than the supermarket, so for a week of meat costs about $30-$50. There's a fruit and veg shop next door so I spend about $30 in there for the week.
    These 2 stops alone save a HUGE amount on the grocery bill!
    A few other ways we have learned to cut costs is buying the dog and cat food at a stockfeed - they usually sell more farm animal type of foods and equipment etc but they also sell dog and cat food. For example, we were buying a 2.5kg bag of dog food which would last about a month which cost about $10. At the stockfeed I brought a 30 kilo bag of food (which my fussy little dog loves!) for a whole $20! So far it has lasted us 9 months so far and still going strong!
    Another way to save is by going to Aldi first before going to your usual supermarket. Can usually save a fair bit there too!
    And finally, shopping online! The major supermarkets often have online only specials as well as normal catalogue specials. The beauty of shopping online is that you buy more of what you really need and less spontaneous purchases. This is really useful if you create meal plans so you know exactly what you need.
    Have you ever considered using bicarb soda and vinegar as a cleaning product? It works really well in the bathroom, toilet, floors etc. It works really well, and best part is that its super cheap!
    Hope some of these helped!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm actually really surprised by this thread. I thought I spent more then normal with my grocery bill being $200 a week. Good to know its not excessive. The only other person I knew how much they spent is my mum and I was always impressed she fed 4 kids on $100

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ZewZew View Post
    I'm actually really surprised by this thread. I thought I spent more then normal with my grocery bill being $200 a week. Good to know its not excessive. The only other person I knew how much they spent is my mum and I was always impressed she fed 4 kids on $100

But money was diff back then too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    But money was diff back then too..
    Yeah but I feed half the people on twice the amount! I just admire how good she is with money.