+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started doing an aldi shop once a fortnight and have saved a heap so far. Used to spend 500 pen and I think I will get it down to 300. Let's seen how I go though! I agree that carbs are not a problem...we eat a very healthy Asian type diet mostly but the kids like spaghetti which we never used to eat before they came along. The high protein low carb diet does cost a lot more and our bills have gone down since I dug my heals in and stopped shopping that way...but I don't think that kind of diet is necessarily healthier anyway. My hubby and I argue over this...but that is another topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Hi there I'm a meat eating person who can answer your question. My shopping bill tends to be around $80 however it has at times been $120 (with nappies etc.) I budget $100 a week and come in under most times. This is for me DS1 who is 4 and DS2 who is 17 months.

If you check out my clean eating thread I started I've actually got a few pics of what I eat in there - plus a list for those who were asking.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ics&highlight=

The unhealthiest it gets is pretzels for my kids. I used to have MUCH bigger shopping bills. But I also ate a lot more unhealthy back then. Obviously just my own case - but anyway... hope that cures some of your curiosity
    That looks yum! Unfortunately for me I have a picky fussy husband who likes nice meat. He is also a big eater so I guess that contributes. You look great too!

Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    I find the cheapest part of my shop is the fruit and veg. Packaged food is more expensive I think. I also disagree that carbs are unhealthy - they're just another type of food We need carbs for energy, they're part of a healthy, balanced diet.
    I never said they are unhealthy. What I did mean was that when they are taking up most of the plate, not the rough guide of 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein and 1/2 salad/veg.
    So more about portion sizes I guess.
    I know when mum was a single parent and money was very tight growing up, our meal would mostly be pasta and not much else. And that is because 1 pack of pasta is a lot cheaper than different veg etc for a meal and goes further in giving you a full tummy. I guess that's more the point I am thinking, as opposed to questioning people's individual eating habits!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Square777 For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Even our pasta is expensive, nearly $4 and it does 2 meals for my daughter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Square777 View Post
    That looks yum! Unfortunately for me I have a picky fussy husband who likes nice meat. He is also a big eater so I guess that contributes. You look great too!

I never said they are unhealthy. What I did mean was that when they are taking up most of the plate, not the rough guide of 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein and 1/2 salad/veg.
    So more about portion sizes I guess.
    I know when mum was a single parent and money was very tight growing up, our meal would mostly be pasta and not much else. And that is because 1 pack of pasta is a lot cheaper than different veg etc for a meal and goes further in giving you a full tummy. I guess that's more the point I am thinking, as opposed to questioning people's individual eating habits!
    I guess it'd just be a case by case basis. Same as those with expensive grocery bills. One could assume they were loaded with expensive processed convenience foods. However in reality it just may not be the case.

As a single parent who eats very healthy (and just for the record I like nice cuts of meat too myself) it's probably not realistic to assume that a certain way of eating is occurring based on the total cost of a grocery trip.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 10-07-2012 at 21:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We prob spend way too much for just a couple. When DP works away, i'd only spend a really small amount, but when he is home, he can go and spent $500 for the fortnight (not including any alcohol). We buy a lot of fresh produce and will by a lot of seafood and good quality/organic meat. Plus my DP is a little master chef so he spends heaps on gormet ingredients. We could def cut our grocery bill down. We do a big costco/aldi shop once a month and fill up the pantry and the freezer, then do smaller shops. If i ever do a big shop at coles, i find i spend heeeeaps more. I think woolies online is a good way of trying to manage your grocery bill, you know how much it all is while you're adding stuff. Aussie farmers direct is also great, we often get a big box of fruit/vegies for $50

And pets, god they can be expensive!! Our labrador is a vacuum cleaner and eats through a massive bag of biscuits in a month, so do the cats. They eat science diet and fresh meat, i reckon we'd spend at least $200 a month at least, maybe more. They should start earning their keep!
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 10-07-2012 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We spend max 150 a week that's 2 toddlers, 2 adults and 2 kids who are with us on weekends. We eat pasta/rice once a week the rest of the meals are meat and veg. I bake all the kids snacks or they have yoghurt/fruit- they eat at least 2 pieces of fruit per day but they only eat what's in season. Veggies are at least 3-4 serves per person per day and the kids love dairy. I think fresh food/meats are cheap- we do eat small portions of meat but the heart foundation recommends small portions. We also have 2 dogs and a cat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally 100 a week give or take for 2 adults and 1 toddler (still in nappies) sometimes we buy extras during the week if we run out (because we shop on the weekend) like bread or milk etc. And we shop at Aldi, grocery bill was at least $50 more when shopping at Coles or woolies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine also includes cat food, dog food, cat litter, cat and dog treats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    it's probably not realistic to assume that a certain way of eating is occurring based on the total cost of a grocery trip.
    And that is why I asked the question.
    People like waterlily who is vegan... i wouldn't have known that was the reason for a lower bill but makes total sense.
    Or are people eating well and eating things in the right portion (unlike my husband whose idea of a good meal is meat meat and more meat), also hence a much lower bill.

I'm not complaining about my spend, I am liberal when I shop and I know this.

To the OP, where I live prices are steadily increasing, we don't have things like aldi costco or freshfood markets... so really are at the mercy of coles and woolies. The same spend in a trip will result in less items in the trolley, despite buying the things on special, even when I menu plan around this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 80 a week, everything including nappies, wipes, cleaning and hygiene products.

Me, fob, ds.
    4 rabbits, 3 cats, 2 birds and 3 fish.

We use cheaper meat cuts but slow cook them so they come out tender,

I have a little.bit of rice with meals.

I have started eating smaller portions as i am trying to loose weight, i am currently 81 kilos.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub