+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    We are Vegans. We eat extremely healthy. We eat a LOT of fresh fruit and veg. We do eat a fair amount of rice but never pasta.

I think having a higher bill could also mean someone is eating very unhealthy!! $300 worth or food a week is mind boggling to me.

I think it's a bit silly to judge someone's eating habits by their grocery bill.
    Sorry, I didn't want it to come across like I was judging. And being vegan would explain a lot, I guess more so for people who eat meat and fish etc that I'm curious about.

And you're right... $300 is a lot to spend if a large portion of it is soft drink, juice, cordial etc (now that DOES make me cringe!!) or other similar things

Don't get me wrong, there are unhealthy treats in my trolley too, eg chocolate etc, but since being relatively dairy free even my guilty pleasures are gone (except for my new fave oreo's)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I spend loads..
    about $500 a week.
    2 adults and 3 kids.
    Not all junk..but we eat really pricey meat. I get it as the butcher.
    Also A2 milk and free range eggs..

we do not eat a lot of junk.
    I go to harris farm to get all the veg and fruit, woolies to shop and my butcher for meat.

I also go to costco once a month and spend about $300.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    $60 a week on seafood, $80 a week on meat and chicken ( free range and organic) $100 on fruit and veg and eggs ( mostly organic) and maybe $50 on other groceries for 2 adults and a hungry toddler! DH wants me to cut down but I'm too fussy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Square777 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't want it to come across like I was judging. And being vegan would explain a lot, I guess more so for people who eat meat and fish etc that I'm curious about.

And you're right... $300 is a lot to spend if a large portion of it is soft drink, juice, cordial etc (now that DOES make me cringe!!) or other similar things

Don't get me wrong, there are unhealthy treats in my trolley too, eg chocolate etc, but since being relatively dairy free even my guilty pleasures are gone (except for my new fave oreo's)!
    Hi there I'm a meat eating person who can answer your question. My shopping bill tends to be around $80 however it has at times been $120 (with nappies etc.) I budget $100 a week and come in under most times. This is for me DS1 who is 4 and DS2 who is 17 months.

If you check out my clean eating thread I started I've actually got a few pics of what I eat in there - plus a list for those who were asking.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ics&highlight=

The unhealthiest it gets is pretzels for my kids. I used to have MUCH bigger shopping bills. But I also ate a lot more unhealthy back then. Obviously just my own case - but anyway... hope that cures some of your curiosity
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 10-07-2012 at 21:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't actually really know but I would guess around $250

I buy a lot of fruit and veg, don't buy chocolate, soft drinks, lollies etc.

I buy what we need and try to meal plan.

Food is one thing I don't compromise on, but I do shop at aldi when I can be bothered. I was still buying bananas when they were almost $20kg as my kids love them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About $150 for 2x adults and 1x 4yo

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Square777 View Post

The thing that I find worrying about the very tiny shopping figures, is exactly what people eat. I don't mean it in a judgemental way, obviously if it is what you can afford then that's all there is to it.

So are those people saying a really low grocery bill, but eating meals full of starchy carbs like pasta, and cheaper cuts of meat like mince or sausages which obviosuly go further, but are laden with salt and fat?
    I find the cheapest part of my shop is the fruit and veg. Packaged food is more expensive I think. I also disagree that carbs are unhealthy - they're just another type of food We need carbs for energy, they're part of a healthy, balanced diet.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No idea really.

Our shopping is a tad scatterbrained.

We go to markets on the weekend, deli and market during the week and supermarket for things as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $250 a week for 2 adults and 5 kids aged from 18 to 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot lately $120 to $150 but that includes nappies, wipes (home childcare), and dd is eating lots of bread and cereal on a gluten free, dairy free diet. She uses rice milk for breakfast but has nut milks too. She eats $12/w in bread and $8/w in cereal plus $7/w in milk, and that only covers part of her breakfast. We eat a lot of seasonal fruit and veg, we get eggs from a friend who has ex battery hens so they roam around her property and leave eggs in odd places including the top of the dryer. I do buy some packaged things sometimes, but not often. It's just going from $4/loaf to $6/half loaf of bread, cereal being triple what it was and paying up to $6/L for milk, with a pre-teen sporty kid, really has an impact. I also provide fruit for afternoon tea for other kids.