+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    About $150 a week for 2 adults, 1 toddler and a big dog - the dog alone eats about $40 worth of meat a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    We are gf too, and my bill has more than doubled since I found out my child has coeliac disease last year
    Yup, people all say you can do it on the cheap, but if you have kids it is just impossible. The cheapest pasta I have found is (that is edible) $7 a kg and the cheapest gf flour is around $4 for 750g (and that is only recent as well! - before that it was $6 for the same amount) And a loaf of that awful and cheapest gf bread - $6 a tiny loaf will do my kids for one lunch.

People who don't have to do it just don't realise the expense of it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yup, people all say you can do it on the cheap, but if you have kids it is just impossible. The cheapest pasta I have found is (that is edible) $7 a kg and the cheapest gf flour is around $4 for 750g (and that is only recent as well! - before that it was $6 for the same amount) And a loaf of that awful and cheapest gf bread - $6 a tiny loaf will do my kids for one lunch.

People who don't have to do it just don't realise the expense of it all.
    Good price for flour. What brand is that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good price for flour. What brand is that?
    Its the new macro gluten free flour. They bleeding store it in the flour section though. So I picked it up and it was covered in gluteny goodness. Arrgh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You have a school age child. Kids that age have high energy and big appetites. Mine is under $200 because my dog doesn't eat much and I don't have an extra adult to feed.
    Oh mine is generally under $200 but I don't buy cleaning products, formula etc. just amazed at how cheap some of these bills are with several children plus husbands. Want to know the secrets lol.

Yes, an added adult certainly brings it up. I used to get away with $50 per week for DS and I. It probably wasn't the best, but he ate healthily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Its the new macro gluten free flour. They bleeding store it in the flour section though. So I picked it up and it was covered in gluteny goodness. Arrgh.
    Oh, that's a Woolworth brand. I avoid them lol. Bizarre that it's in with the other flour :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Oh mine is generally under $200 but I don't buy cleaning products, formula etc. just amazed at how cheap some of these bills are with several children plus husbands. Want to know the secrets lol.

Yes, an added adult certainly brings it up. I used to get away with $50 per week for DS and I. It probably wasn't the best, but he ate healthily.
    I kept it under $80 with pets, cleaning products and nappies before going gf for dd. But much of that was homebrand white bread, homebrand white pasta and noodles. Lots of rice dishes too. Rice, peas, corn and hb tomato sauce is a meal right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend $120-150 a fortnight including nappies for two people. We don't drink soft drink and only buy one bottle of juice for the fortnight. We eat fish, chicken, sausages, roasts, mince so probably cheaper cuts. I cook up big meals and freeze extras. We cook our snacks at home like biscuits and cakes. Both eat porridge for breakfast with fruit during winter and during summer it tends to be fruit and yoghurt or cereal/ toast with occasionally pancakes.
    Last edited by ItWasntMe; 11-07-2012 at 18:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is $100 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids.And maybe $30-$50 for extras thru the week.
    We eat pretty simply and easy.I hate making dinner but will happily bake all day.
    So kids snacks are fruit,sultanas,popcorn(I make) and homemade baking.
    Like today I bought a $5 chicken and made a chicken salad for everyone and will use left overs for quiche 2moro.
    Aldi is my best friend!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd say $250-300 a week for 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog