+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much is your weekly grocery shop?

I'm keen to know how much your weekly grocery shop costs and also for how many people you are shopping for?
    I'm finding our family grocery shop just seems to be getting more and more expensive. We're a family of 4 - me, DH, DD1 age 7 and DD2 almost 3, plus a cat. I used to be able to keep it to $200-250 but now it's more like $250-300! This is for everything, all types of food, fruit, veg and meat plus cleaning products, etc.
    I'm keen to hear if I need to work on cutting this down or if it's the 'norm' and just the way prices are these days. Sometimes I think it might be nice to add another member to our family, but financially things just seem to be getting tighter and tighter and I worry we won't be able to afford everything if we did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    $150-$200 per week, which is no packaged foods, no junk food, no cleaning products. Can't get it lower. Family of 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Family of 3 and we spend about $200 a week, maybe $300 if we have one of those weeks where everything expensive needs to be replaced at once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is me and 3 kids and I spend $150 a week on everything, including formula for DS who is 8 months and 2 in nappies.

I only spend that much because that's all I have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Family of 3 and fortnightly $100 with a small shop of approx $50 on the off week. We tend to buy a lot in bulk so it lasts a while (eg. Toilet paper, dog food).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say $400 per week. $250 main shop, then all the little ones that add up as well.

2 adults, 3 children and 1 dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is always changing but atm i would say it is around $150pw for 1 adult and 2 children. One is in nappies so when i need nappies it is more but i buy them in bulk so don't need to buy often.
    I don't buy cleaning products (except dish washing liquid - which lasts me months) i use vinegar, bicarb, lemons (from my backyard), tea tree oil for cleaning - cheap stuff that lasts a long time.
    I grow vegetables and have fruit trees, which helps a little bit.
    I bulk buy where i can, which helps a lot.

When DH is around the amount spent shoots up heaps...

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dogs- 20 kilo Black Hawk Holistic $90. Have an arrangement with a few farmers so free rabbit. I also buy a kilo of chicken hearts and livers from Tasman Meats. So dogs alone are eating their way through $100 of food a fortnight.

Cat- No dry because it causes kidney and renal failure, so she eats roughly a kilo of mixed carcass and organ mince mixed with a kilo of rabbit meat mince per week. Hard to calculate, but about $20 a fortnight.

Rodents- About $7 a fortnight in rat cubes

Birds- About $7 a fortnight in seed. Fruits and native plants free.

Sugar gliders- About $10 a fortnight. Fruit, blossoms and tree branches free.

Us- We limit to $100 a fortnight. We eat very cheap, filling meals. Our biggest expense is DD's snack budget. We spend about $25 a week on fruit and vegies for her snacks alone. She doesn't eat junkfood so no spending there.
    Once a month restaurant family dinner, all you can eat buffet is $50 for all three of us.
    No softdrink or cordial so no cost there.

Hunting season our bill is drastically cut as we have almost daily fresh meat, and I freeze large amounts that feed us over the coming months. Plus the dogs and cat eat nothing except daily fresh meat so we buy no food for them.

We go to Costco for our laundry needs once every few months.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When hubby is home it's between $200-$300 when he is away its about $150-$220. This is for everything. Cleaning wise I only buy toilet cleaner, dish washing liquid and laundry liquid as we use enjo.

Eta 2 adults, 2 children (3&4) and baby (1).
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 10-07-2012 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id say about $150/week.
    I shop at the farmers markets for fruit and veg, milk, bread...$50-$60/week
    I go to cash and carry every 4 months and spend about $200 on bulk stuff....flour, sugar, toilet paper, laundry liquid, and toilet cleaner...works out to about $20/week
    I buy my meat in bulk around $200 for 2 months...works out to $25-$30/week
    I spend around $50-$60 at wollies or coles/week

Buying stapes in bulk really cuts the shopping bill down and also going to the markets for fruit and veg. I dont buy alot of pre-packaged things (cookies, snacks etc...i make them myself (ive always got the stapes so why not).
    I also buy catfood when its on special and biscuts in bulk.

if your looking to cut down your bill, try not to buy alot of pre-packaged/made things, they really make your bill go high! I also go to the shopping centre that has both wollies and coles and get whats on special.

Thats for 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 cats and a dog
    Last edited by jennibear; 10-07-2012 at 17:47.