+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annabella: I hope you had a safe and wonderful birth experience at Jess Mcpherson. How was your birthing experience there? Did you find the nurses help you alot at the hospital?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Seeking Natural birth at Cabrini Hospital

Sorry about my very late response-
    I gave birth at Cabrini in July 2012 with dr price as my ob. Overall I am very lucky to say that I had a fantastic labour.
    Here are the ins and outs....
    I had been seeing dr price regularly throughout my pregnancy and found him to be friendly, caring and reassuring. I can sometimes be a bit of a worrier but Dr Price was able to put my mind at ease and helped my pregnancy to be a very enjoyable one.
    I went into labour naturally at 38.2. I labored at home for 6 hours before heading into Cabrini by this stage contractions were every 3-5mins. It was a Saturday morning and Dr Price had 4 mums in labour me included. On arrival the midwife asked me 'what is your plan for labour and do you want me to talk you out of an epidural?'

Thinking that was a bit of an odd question I replied 'no, if I want an epi you better give me one' lol.

The labour room was lovely and they provided me with everything I needed to labour naturally. I listened to hypno- birthing affirmations throughout my labour and found them to be extremely helpful ( on iTunes if anyone is interested)

Dr Price finally came in about 4-5hrs after I arrived and I was 9cm.
    I was unable to sit or lie through my contractions and so after nearly 12 hrs of labour I was EXHAUSTED.
    And so opted for and epi so I could rest before the final stage.
    When it came time to push, Dr Price was there and I pushed for 2hrs. At around the 1.5 hr mark there was talk of assisted delivery which scared the pants off me and I made my mind up that wasn't going to happen!!
    I remember Dr Price giving me a needle down there and then the best moment of my life...my daughter was born!
    It wasn't really until after that I realized I had an episiotomy.
    Something that I don't really remember is Dr Price asking me if I was ok with him doing an episiotomy, but to be honest I am glad he just went ahead and did it as it caused me less stress in the moment.

Dr Price visited me the next day and a few days after, he checked bub and my stitches.
    The staff at Cabrini were absolutely fantastic and most of the time I felt as I was at a hotel rather than a hospital.
    I am extremely blessed to have had such a wonderful experience and an un-complicated pregnancy and birth.
    For my next bub I don't think I will take the private option as it was pricey but I great way to do it for a nervous first time mum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ali19 For This Useful Post:

smochie  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth experience at Cabrini

Hi Ali: Thanks for sharing your wonderful birth experience at Cabrini. Sounds like the hospital is pro natural birth - if you wish. During your 4-5 hours in labour at the hospital. Did you get much assistance from the nurse for pain relieve? Did you end up having forceps or vaccum delivery or only an episiotomy?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Seeking Natural birth at Cabrini Hospital

They offered me the gas straight away but I refused and they were ok with that. I did end up trying it before the epi but found it made no difference. No vaccume or forceps just episiotomy- phew!!
    The birthing classes at Cabrini in my opinion were also very- pro natural labour.
    They looked into birthing positions, hypno birthing and other tools to assist a natural labour.
    I think as long as you make your intentions clear they are happy to assist- good luck!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ali19 For This Useful Post:

smochie  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Smochie,
    Thanks for asking, I had a GREAT birth! I actually had Dr Dennis Price as my Ob as well and he is really really great. Through Monash I was under pressure to be induced at 37 weeks (just coz its 'what they do'), have an epidural etc. Dennis recommended an epidural incase the second twins needs to be pulled out but completely respected my wish not to have one, he also did not pressure me into an induction at all, although mentioned it was recommended for twins around 38-39 weeks. Most of all, he was not scared. I just felt like at Monash the Obs were so so cautious, constant scans, constant talk of pre-term labour and all the things that can go wrong during the birth. Dr Price was confident it would all be fine, and it was. He was also happy for me to have my kids, mum and a couple of friends there as well as my partner, which Monash Obs would not have agreed to. I requested no 'extra' hosp staff if all was well, and he also respected that.

I ended up choosing to be induced at 39.5 weeks, I have been overdue with all my other kids and my mum was here from interstate to help with the twins and felt I needed to make sure I had them in time to actually have that help! With my private midwife I tried everything to go into labour but nothing worked to was induced on a Tuesday morning. Dennis broke my waters (I was already 3cms dilated) and we waited about 5 hours but nothing happened so the midwife put me on the drip at about 1pm. I started having contractions at about 1:30 and Twin 1 was born at 2:20. Dennis and the hospital midwives missed twin 1 coz it happened so fast, but I had my mw (and husband) there who was great. Dennis came in and didn't clamp the cord as requested. Twin 2 was born 10 mins later.

The midwives at Monash were fantastic, my private midwife has no practising rights there but you could see they really respected her knowledge and wisdom.

Post birth however I wasn't very happy with Jesse Mac, they were full so I was in a four-person room for the first night. I was pretty annoyed about that since I'd been booked for the induction for nearly a week, they knew I was coming and I really feel that someone with twins should've been given their own room so my husband could be there to help. I was really stressed they would cry and wake up the other ladies and their babies but luckily they slept well and cried less than the other single babies hahaha. I also struggled with all the hospital 'policy' which is probably the same eveywhere but I was told off for carrying a twin while I was walking (instead of wheeling him in his cot), sleeping with them in the bed, sleeping them in the same cot. I also didn't get any assistance breastfeeding except by a young midwife, and they don't have a breastfeeding clinic or anything (which I'm pretty sure Cabrini does). I discharged myself early and when I asked what to do if I was having bf issues, they gave me a list of private lactation cosultants. They just didn't seem very breastfeeding friendly at all (due to other stuff I saw and have heard).

So while I had a great birth, in part due to the lovely midwives on the birth suite, it was mostly because of MY preparation and I had a great Ob and my private midwife. If I was ever to go private again (which I never would if I had the birth centre option- they were the BEST), I would go to Cabrini, not Jesse Mac.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

smochie  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Annabella: It's lovely to hear your story as well. It's not such a bad thing that the Obs are very cautious, with constant scans, etc. I'm not sure about the pre-term labour though.

Hats off to you for having no epidural and having twins: Did it hurt? haha..

Not that l have much knowledge, but doesn't it sounds a bit early to break your water when you are only 3 cm dilated?

You are lucky your obs was there in time to see the second twin. I know some people pay for their obs to be at their labour but they don't make it on time.

Yes, l have heard Jesse Mac to be overcrowded, since it's so popular because it has Monash Medical Centre next door in case of an emergency. And it's a shame you didn't get your own room considering you was booked inducement 1 week in advance.

Look on the bright side, you have two healthy twins. That's most important. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your birth experience at Monash and with Dr. Dennis Price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, yeah I was 3 cms before going into labour, when they broke my waters it was an attempt to get me INTO labour and hopefully avoid having the drip. Unfortunately it didn't work, but the drip wasn't too bad anyway, it was such a quick labour, so didn't really hurt. Definitely the easiest of all my babies (fourth birth)!
    I was absoluety thrilled with the birth- on a high for weeks! Just staying at Jesse Mac was crap, but was ok, I just went home early lol!
    Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted to give a more recent reply to this thread as it hasn't been updated for a while.

Dennis was my ob for my first child several years ago. Couldn't fault him. He was kind, caring and even though there were some pretty full on complications my experience with him was positive. I would definitely have recommended him.

Which is why I chose him without hesitation for my second child. Fast forward a few years, unfortunately my experience with Dennis was very different.

At the appointments he was somewhat distant compared to my last experience. Obviously with my second child I was more knowledgeable and had done more research and I got the feeling he was somehow threatened by that. During appointments I felt rushed, not heard, a general vibe of impatience. He practically scoffed at me when I turned up with a birth plan.

For one appointment I couldn't find a babysitter for my 3yo, Dennis was very short with my child, showed absolutely no warmth whatsoever for the child he had delivered and I left that day with alarm bells bells ringing. I wish I had listened and not told myself that everything would be fine, that changing obs was too hard.

On the day my baby was born I had been in contact with him several times as it was a long first stage of labour. He knew when I was going to hospital, it was a longish drive. He wasn't even there when my baby was born, he turned up afterwards. It was just luck that I had hired a private midwife, who along with one hospital midwife
    and my partner were there when my baby arrived. Even with all of that, it was still ok. It was what happened afterwards.

Several hours after my baby was born I was still having complications. By this stage my midwife had been with us all night and finally went home. Dennis was called back in. It was very obvious that he was not happy about it.
    Then, without any warning, explanation, asking consent, or offering pain relief or to go to theatre, he performed a very invasive, painful procedure on me. When I struggled and screamed 'no' repeatedly, in agony, he yelled at me to shut up.

It has taken me over a year to be able able to write this. I was diagnosed with PTSD and undertook extensive counselling. I am still traumatised.
    But I am not writing this for me. I am writing this for anyone who googles Dennis Price looking for advice. This is my advice. Dennis was a great doctor. Not anymore.

Choose a different obstetrician. Look into also hiring a private midwife or Doula to give you extra support you during your birth. Without the birthing and post-partum support of my midwife my experience might have been very different and I may not be here now to write this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Mela I am very sorry for your experience. Hopefully you are now finding a way to heal. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    @Mela I am very sorry for your experience. Hopefully you are now finding a way to heal. Xxx
    Thank you so much xxx