+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annabella: Glad to hear you had a wonderful experience with your water-birth. Was this a recent experience? Just heard that public hospitals can be under staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend had one of her three children at Cabrini (with Dennis as her ob). She preferred Jessie Macpherson at monash Clayton but didn't have anything against Cabrini

3. The Following User Says Thank You to raracookie For This Useful Post:

smochie  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I had my son there 2 years ago on 2010. Yes public hospitals can be understaffed, but I can honestly say the care I got through the BC was excellent. At 40 weeks my son changed position and they did everything they could to keep me in the BC, no pressure to have a c/s even though he was an unstable lie etc. I never had to wait for my appts in the BC at all, and when I was in labour the midwife was with me for most of it, it didn't feel like he was rushing around. The same for the night I stayed, I had great care. I think because its a smaller group of women using the BC it is more individual care.

I have been a patient at Monash til recently through the Obs and the care is not at all like the Birth Centre, a lot less personal and looonnnggg wait times. I changed to private care at 31 weeks for this reason (wouldve gone through BC again if I wasn't high risk this time).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

smochie  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annabella, yes my friend had health issues and she had to see the OBs at Monash Medical Centre, and she tells me the wait is very long. I can't remember if she sees the same OBs or they change OBs, based on which one was available to see her. Did you have same obs? Will you be giving birth in private hospital too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw the same Ob for every appt which was through the 'twins clinic'. Not sure what they do for other high risk pregnancies. Sometimes I had to wait an hour, for a 5 min appt, where all they need to do is check my blood pressure and listen to the heartbeats- both things that could easily be done by a midwife.

Although the dr I saw was very 'nice', I didn't feel my preferences relating to the birth were being respected at all, and decided to hire an independent midwife to come with me to the birth. She got me into a private Obstetrician who I feel listens to me a lot more, I feel a lot safer with him that he sees me as a person, not as a number in the system.

I will give birth at Monash with the midwives, plus my midwife, and the Ob, and then afterwards will stay at Jessie Mac (the private part of Monash). If I was low-risk though, I would go through the birth centre again in a heartbeat rather than going private.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

smochie  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm using Dr Price ( so lovely )at cabrini in 3 weeks with my first- eeekkkkkk!!! Ill let you know how I go!!! P.s there Pre natal classes are fantastic and the rooms are awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annabella: Wow...you are having twins. How nice. My husband wanted twins. I see why you need extra private care now. Hopefully you have private health insurance otherwise you will be a lot out of pocket.

If you are not happy with your doctors preferences relating to your birth. Could you ask to see another Obs in hope the second Obs can give you your birth preferences?

Good luck with your birth at Jessie Mac, and let me know how you go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ali19: Yes, l love to hear your experience with Dr. Price and Cabrini.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I probably could ask to see another Ob through the public system, but there would be no guarantee they'd be the one working when you go into labour. Yes we have really good cover which I've never used before as I prefer midwife care which is not available privately (except as home birth which my hubby would NEVER agree to and nothing's covered by PHI anyway!). If I didn't have private cover I'd just stay public and be a 'difficult' patient refusing a 37 wk induction etc lol! Or I'd look at going private in a public hospital.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

smochie  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ali19. I know this post has been a while, but if you don't mind sharing your birthing experience with Dr.Price at Cabrini. Thank you!