+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Seeking Natural birth at Cabrini Hospital

Hi, l am considering giving birth at Cabrini Hospital. Just want to know if there are many mums out there that have experience with having a natural birth there. I've been told there is higher invention and c-sect at private hospital. Wondering if the nurses / obstetrician are pro natural birth (if it's safe to do so). Anybody been pressured to have intervention or c-sect there?
    Last edited by smochie; 10-07-2012 at 17:32.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not from personal experience but I know someone who have first bub at Masada and 2nd at Cabrini (I think Masada had closed?).

She had a natural birth both times (first bub require a suction after a fair effort of trying) and she was satisfied both times noone pushed her into an emergency c-sect but gave her time.

She did speak to her dr about a doula and he said he 'didn't like them and they got in the way of him doign his job with their hippy madness'. I guess she wasn't too fussed about not having a doula or upset by his comments cos it didn't phase her.

Good luck with finding the right hospital

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

smochie  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On a side note if you are looking at private I have heard great things about Frances Perry?

Im not really familiar with how private works? Do you pick the ob and then select one the hospy they work from? Or do you pick the hospy and then the ob?

Maybe look into them all, ask to have a tour and see what you think?

Do you have an idea of what you want for your birth? If so, make a mini plan/list and ask each hospy/dr what their POV/stance/practises are on each one?

ETA: I think there are private birthing centres too - like the one in Hawthorn that is run by an Ob?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

smochie  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend has had 2 natural births at Cabrini. By natural do you mean vaginal or drug-free? (my friend had both).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

smochie  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And Buttoneska that Hawthorn one closed down (The Nest).

Also I don't think it's true that private hospitals push for C-sections. Of the 12 of us in my mothers group only one had a C-section, and she was the only one of us who gave birth in a public hospy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (10-07-2012),smochie  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Buttoneska,

Do you know the name of the obstetrican that help your friend? The obstetrican probably has a big say on whether you should be induced or not.

Frances Perry is a little far from me...so l would prefer Cabrini. I have contacted Cabrini, they reckon they don't have anymore C-Sect than any other hospitals. That doesn't really give me a direct answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lemonpancakes,

Yes, l mean natural birth, without drugs, forceps or vaccum, etc...Did they have Dennis Price as the obstetrician?

Perhaps, it's not the hospital that pushing for C-Sect. Obstetrician maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it was Tim Sturrok or something like that???

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

smochie  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend had a female obstetrician at Cabrini, not sure of her name sorry. I think you just have to go in with an open mind. Sometimes things don't go smoothly and the doctor decides that for the safe delivery of your baby you need a c-section, or that you need to be induced (which can mean you might want pain relief, like I did!) or the baby might be stuck and need the vacuum etc.

You can hope for the birth you want but it can be disappointing if things don't go as planned. But really, it's not something you can really plan.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

smochie  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Private Hospitals, generally speaking, do have higher c/s rates.

Having said that, I believe a lot of it will come down to your Obstetrician. I recommend finding out who works through Cabrini and researching each one, asking what his/her c/s rates are, induction rates, assisted vaginal delivery (forceps etc). Some Obs truly are pro-natural birth, many claim to be, but still have very high intervention rates.

I supported a lovely woman at Cabrini and the midwives she had were absolutely amazing, one was a student and the other was older, obviously been doing it for years and was happy to tweak things to make sure my woman got the natural birth she wanted (ie, rang the Ob pretty late in the game!). She had a great birth.

If you are anywhere near Monash I highly recommend the birth centre if you are low-risk. I had a beautiful water-birth there.

Best of luck

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

smochie  (11-07-2012)