+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Honda Odyssey

Hi all,

My DH and I need a new car which has at least 7 seats, and the boot has to be big enough to fit a 2 seater city select pram in the boot. We were looking at the Honda Oddyssey and it looks pretty good.. can anyone give me any reviews on them?

Or is there another car that has 7 or more seats that is better?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I prefer the Mazda CX9 ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Steer well clear of the odyssey if you have kids in car seats. I was convinced I wanted one till we went and had a look.
    The second row of seats has 3 anchor points. Great. Not so great is how the anchor points are located directly ABOVE the third row of seats. So the straps stop anyone from sitting in the third row.
    The third row has two anchor points. Great. Not so great is where they are. At the back of the boot on the floor. So the straps go through the boot stopping you from putting anything like a pram in there.

We walked out of the showroom as soon as the dealer showed us.

Cx9 is a great 7 seater, we loved ours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were deciding between an Odyssesy and a CX-9. Much to my delight we chose the CX-9. I hate Odyssey's...it drove well on the test drive, didn't look at the location of the anchor points I must admit, but I find them incredibly ugly and when we compared the two watching crash test videos on you tube the CX-9 won hands down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about the newer Honda Odyssey's but I used to have an older one.

Mine only had 2 anchor points for the middle row which were on the roof above the 3rd row seats. Then the 2x 3rd row anchor points went across the boot. I could get a small umbrella style stroller in the boot but only if I un-clipped one of the car seats to get the stroller in and out and then re-clipped it. I hated doing it and was always paranoid about forgetting to do it up again. We couldn't use both middle row anchor points unless the ones sitting in the back climbed over the seats as you needed to fold one of the seats to get into the back. The anchor point above the head of the kids in the 3rd row wasn't too much of a problem for them but it was a huge drama for me! DD2 would grab it and pull on it and then the one in the seat in front of her would be screaming not to touch it etc etc.

I know the newer model is different than the one we had though.

We just bought a new car and since we don't need the extra seats anymore we went for a smaller car and got a Mazda 3. After driving our new car around for the past 2 weeks I'm totally in love with it. It's such a great car with so much more power than our Honda Odyssey had.

I would definately check out the CX-9 as pp have suggested.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I usually love Honda, but don't like the odyssey. I have been looking at the CX-9 & Subaru Tribeca for our next car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    This is true, however we have never had any dramas with anyone being able to sit in the rear seats. Even my husband who is 6ft tall has sat behind babyseats with no problems

I love my odyssey. Super economical on fuel and looks like a normal car. Most of the others I compared to would've required me to climb up into the car to put a baby in a seat which would've made me panic with babies. When the time comes to replace my car I will probably get another honda
    Same here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't fathom how they sit in the third row? With their head poking up between the straps going towards the anchor point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I can't fathom how they sit in the third row? With their head poking up between the straps going towards the anchor point?
    There is no poking up between the straps at all.

The anchor point is above their head but slightly towards the window. So, the straps are more in front of them when clipped into the anchor clip. But even in a booster their heads are no where near touching the roof anyway. I had one car seat in the middle row and then 2x anchored boosters in the 3rd row and even with one of my twins behind the car seat in their booster their head never touched the straps. Then later I had a booster in the middle row (so 1x strap straight to the anchor clip rather than the 2x straps going towards the clip) and it never touched her head.

But it didn't stop them from annoying each other and whoever was in the back would grab at the strap and pull just to annoy the other one.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 11-07-2012 at 09:26.