+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paid Parental Leave??

After spending 20 minuets on hold to the FAO i have given up on them.
    I have a simple question.

I am going to claim Paid Parental Leave. Can i nominate to receive this directly from the government or does this need to be paid via my employer.

I am currently on maternity leave, so still employed, but would prefer if i didn't have to go through my employer. Is this my choice?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got mine paid through Centrelink, but only because I'd been employed for less than 12 months at my current employer. I'm pretty sure as of July 1 last year it goes through the employer, unless you are no longer employed, self-employed or had worked there for less than 12 months. BUT, I can't find any link to explain that in more detail sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    Don't quote me on this but I think it depends if your employer pays Parental Leave also.
    Here's the link of what I was reading this morning if it helps http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...cheme/payments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also found this on the Centrelink website:

Employer payments

Your employer will provide your Parental Leave Pay in your usual pay cycle, if you:
    • have a child born or adopted from 1 July 2011 and
    • have worked for your employer for 12 months or more before the expected date of birth or adoption and
    • will be its employee for your Paid Parental Leave period and
    • are an Australian-based employee and
    • expect to receive at least eight weeks of Parental Leave Pay.
    If you do not meet these criteria, your employer is not required to provide your Parental Leave Pay. However, it can still choose to provide it to you, if you both agree for this to happen. For it to happen, your employer will need to register for and opt in to provide Parental Leave Pay before you lodge your claim.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was with my employer for 11 months and prior to that another employer. I was paid my paid parental leave directly from Centrelink. It did not go through my employer.

They just needed my payment details and I then received the installments.

My Paid parental leave started in September (when I organised it) and ran to Jan this year.