+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why am I always crying?

I had my first baby last week and I hind myself always crying when I am alone.

I don't know if it has to do with the birthing experience. I went to hospital for a planned induction due to baby big size hopefully I didn't need to have c section if I didn't have baby after 40 weeks. Unfortunately the whole thing ended up being an emergency c section.

Then things saw of went down hill from there... Not enough milk, bb difficult to settle, no sleep, not much support from family and in law for breast feeding ... Etc.

My DH still on parental leave I don't think I would be able to cope when he gets back to work. Last night baby cried for 12 hours, I tried everything and nothing worked. I tried to call the 24 hours help line I couldn't get through. I was so helpless..... I was so close of having a nervous breakdown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Still being so early since you have had the baby it could still be the changes and hormones in your body. BUT I would not write this off as 'baby blues'.

Common signs of PND are
    a sense of hopelessness
    guilty
    exhausted
    miserable
    tearful
    lonely
    anxious
    trapped

All mums have at least one of these feelings some of the time. But if you're overwhelmed by these feelings and they don't get better with time, you could have PND.

Having trouble breastfeeding, lack of support, even your bad birthing experience can definitely lead to PND. So this it why you should take your always crying and feelings seriously before they exculate.

Speaking from personal experience I let similar feelings build up for a long time, to the point I rejected DD1 and was always angry and had a very short temper. But I kept blowing the feelings off and telling people I was fine.

I encourage you to go to your GP as soon as you possibly can while your husband is home with you and discuss this. As PND numbers are high as in one in 4 mothers are affected by PND.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Tses you poor thing. Been there.... I can relate. Where was your DH? Did he help you?

Obviously I don't know you so I'm not going to tell you what you're experiencing but for me, it was related to the birth of my baby. I, too, had an emergency C section.

I didn't have milk either (takes longer with a c section) and my bub wouldn't settle so I got stressed and bub picked up my stress and cried and cried....and the cycle continued.

What I ended up doing was feeding him formula and when I could, I breastfed or expressed. It saved my sanity. I also saw my doctor and got my blood tested which uncovered a vitamin and mineral deficiency as well as PND. But I must stress that in relation to the PND I had other symptoms other than lack of sleep going on. A doctor was just able to piece it all together with tests and I got the assistance I needed. I'm in no way suggesting that you have PND. It could well be stress and hormones. Oh my lord, the hormones! Not to be underestimated right after birth!

Don't be afraid to reach out to DH. Tell him like it is. Sometimes men need a bit of a push to really see the bigger picture.

I would also recommend you see your GP or a mental health community nurse. I had one come out to visit me and she was a godsend.

At the end of the day, Tses, please know that you will be okay. You will feel normality again. Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I bet you're stoked.

Keep us posted on how you are doing, okay?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (10-07-2012),Tses  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After I had my DS for about 2 weeks I was crying at everything! The smallest thing would set me off. I'm sure that was hormones for me!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmydogs For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's normal for you to be a hormonal after giving birth.

I used to go into the shower and sob and sob and sob those first couple of weeks. I was exhausted, I was sore from my stitches (I had an episiotomy and could barely sit), my breasts were sore and I had a baby who I loved dearly but I had no idea what to do with. As time passed, I felt better.

But it's something to keep an eye on. At your 6 week checkup they should go through the test to keep an eye out for any signs of PND. Don't feel afraid to seek help at any stage. Tell your DH what you're feeling. PP gave a great list of things to look out in terms of PND.

Look after yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Last night was our first night at home and baby refused to settle until today at 3pm. 19 hours of non stop crying, it was insane.

I am still crying at the moment. But I an feeling a lot better after everyone kind words. When I was pregnant I was already identified and they already got someone to contact unfortunately that person called the day before my induction and I really didn't want to talk, but I think I am ready to make that calls to get things sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    19 hours? That's crazy...for both you and bub.
    Have you checked out the Settling section in Bub Hub yet?
    Or contacted a community nurse to come out and visit you? They're often fonts of knowledge and can help you get through this difficult patch.