+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby not opening mouth enough - any advice please

Hi all

My DD is now 7 weeks and I've been struggling along with breast feeding. We still have latching on issues - in that she won't open her mouth really wide to get a full mouthful and as such feeds mostly on the nipple causing cracking, grazing, bleeding etc...

This makes it incredibly painful to feed and I dread instead of enjoy it.

I've been to see a lactation consultant a few times and they helped with nipple shields etc but I found using these ineffective as she wasn't putting on weight with them and didn't really like latching onto them (took ages). She said bubs mouth wasn't very big which was why I was having issues in the initial weeks, but I would've thought this would resolve itself by now.

Does anyone have any tips which would help with this? Any advice would be very much appreciated as I am keen to keep breast feeding.

Cheers Kathy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has anyone looked at bubs tongue for a tongue tie ??

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The sooper nanny For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had this with my first. and she had a tongue tie. you just have to keep trying until she attaches properly - don't let bub keep feeding if she isn't attached right. you can try to express a little into a bottle and feed her that first so she isn't as impatient for food then top up on the breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The sooper nanny View Post
    Has anyone looked at bubs tongue for a tongue tie ??
    Yes - apparently no tongue tie - she just won't ever open really wide. It doesn't matter how many times I try or what I try (I've tried pushing her bottom jaw open a little, opening my mouth in the hope shell mimic that, brushing the nipple on lower lip/jaw etc etc) do I'm really running out of ideas on what to do!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd have her Tt check again by someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check for lip ties, tongue ties underneath the back of tongue (posterior tongue ties) which are not as obvious as anterior tongue ties and get her jaw and neck assessed by a paediatric physio or chiro to see if she has pain/restriction there affecting mouth opening. There is a video on youtube that shows you how to assess your baby for a posterior tongue tie.
    You can also shape your breast into a flatter pancake by gently squeezing it between thumb and fingers and introduce it into her mouth like that so you can get the lower areola into her mouth too and not just the nipple.
    If your breasts are very full it will be harder for baby to attach, so express off a little first so the area around the nipple is softer/pliable so bub can get a better latch and doesnt have to open mouth as wide

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseOfFun For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know this doesn't sound very good but I had a lactation consultant tell me to to gently pull down on DD's lower jaw as she was attaching. So you start with their nose on your nipple and gently move them up (if they don't do it themselves which DD didn't always) and as you move them up gently hold down the bottom jaw to get it nice and open. Hope that makes some sense but can maybe help a little.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had this problem, my bub had a mild tongue tie. I chose not to have it snipped and instead kept trying to latch him properly. I found the worst pain was in weeks 4-6, and after that it slowly started getting better, and we started to get a few painless latches, then more and more. I'm sorry that's not much help, but if you can keep trying each time to get the right attachment, as bub grows their mouth will also grow and they start getting the latch correct more often than not.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to champagne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all - will look into that and try the techniques suggested and hope that things improve over coming weeks.

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to do something similar to ICanDream. I flattened my breast so it would go in further, started with my nipple on her nose/upper lip and when she opened her mouth, I'd push down on her lower jaw with my breast and sorta shove it in. Sounds rough but it wasn't and it was the only way it would work for us.

P.S. Just wanted to say that it did take a little practice and we didn't get it first go every time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakorsha For This Useful Post: