+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My almost 5 month old has gone off the boobies :( not sure what to do

My almost 5 month old has gone off the boobies she has been a very fussy feeder for the last month, continuously off and on every 2 seconds.
    She has not gained weight, I took her to the Doc and she had only put on 10 grams in a month he said in every other respect she is fine and happy but she needs the weight gain.
    I have tried treating for silent reflux and keeping her upright while feeding to see if that was it and it wasn't, have tried burping when she comes off as it seemed like trapped wind for a bit but that doesn't seem to be it.
    I have milk and I also take supps to boost it and I have been to a LC
    To be honest she just doesn't seem to want it . . . after never giving her formula I decided to top her up with a bottle after each time I try to feed her and she loved it no fussing at all, she even held it and just fed herself !
    I am VERY sad about this everyone says I couldn't have done anything different . . . am I being selfish if she is HAPPY? I need her to be healthy and that's why I gave her the bottle, I just didn't expect her to like it so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have your periods started again? That made mine refuse and fuss.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

ScarlettLily  (10-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea they have and the fussyness did start around then

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it is that you should be ok, my DD is still bfing at 20 months. I didn't offer bottles though, I didn't have any weight gain issues, tbh I didn't really pay much attention to her weight as long as she was obviously thriving - happy, wet nappies, sleeping ok, etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apologise in advance for the wall of text- I'm on my phone.
    My DS is 5.2 months and we have been going through this aswell. He started around the time I got my period back, and we have some good feeding days, and some where he will wait until he is crying with hunger to reluctantly latch and have a full feed.
    I feel for you, it makes me feel awful like he is rejecting me. I've found though that we get on much better if I am NOT constantly offering boob as that makes him very upset, I just hold him and when he starts trying to latch on to my jumper I know its time to try!
    I had at one stage thought about trying formula as he was not interested in EBM from a bottle either, but I am too frightened that he will refuse boob altogether then.
    The light is at the end of the tunnel for us though, he is getting better all the time, but still extra anti-boob for the days before the start and few days after period starts.
    My DS gained weight very quickly the first few months after birth, then really slowed down after his fussiness started.
    As long as he isn't losing weight and still having wet nappies I and my doctor am not concerned.

Does your DS still feed well overnight? Does he wake for feeds or do you dreamfeed? My DS still wakes 3-4 times for a feed overnight, and as we co-sleep I can put boob on his cheek before he really wakes up and he happily feeds... Is this an option for you?
    I'm sorry you are having this battle, its heartbreaking isn't it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    *your DD, sorry I misread the OP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've done a great job if you've gotten to 5 months feeding by breast only! Don't be so hard on yourself, she may just prefer a little independance now! lol
    If she is happy to take a bottle then let her, maybe even try a mixed feed. Give her bottles all day and breast before bed so you still get that closeness.
    I have breast fed all my kids and am currently breast feeding my 3rd (6 weeks)11 months with number 1 but my second weened herself by 6 months. All babies are different.
    I got to

You've done well, some people aren't lucky enough to be able to feed at all by breast.

I give you 2 big thumbs up!
    Last edited by nikkibruce; 10-07-2012 at 10:23.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkibruce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    And at 5 months, baby will be able to start solids soon which might help her weight gain. I think carry on offering boob first, with top ups if you are concerned.

I would be worried about your supply though, as the less she drinks the less you produce.

I'm hoping one of the breastfeeding experts see your thread.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all the support I wouldn't have been so concerned but we have had a hard time with her and weight, I was a week OD with her and she was only 6lb 6oz and she has not put on too much since. She is only a wee thing and still in some 0000 clothes but is also bright happy and alert and had slept all night since she came home. But 10g in a few weeks is not enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and we started solids last week and she LOVES food . . . i just want her to be happy and I have noticed a big change in the last few days, make me feel awful like she had been starving . . . she is so happy atm