+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I loathe playing. Absolutely loathe it. I suck at it too. Lol.

So time spent with dd involves me colouring in, watching a movie, painting her nails etc. no playing. I did when she was small but now she's bossy and her games are hard.. And I hate them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't really like playing either, I read to him , we go shopping, sometimes to the park and kick a ball, go places ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I did when she was small but now she's bossy and her games are hard.. And I hate them.
    Hahahaha! This made me laugh.
    Kids rules SUCK!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Wow you are amazing. What does OT stand for?
    Does this mean we all 'should' be playing/interacting more with our children? Or are interactive toys to blame because they don't stimulated their imagination?
    Remember when we were young ? (I'm 32) our toys didn't flash, move, make noise etc!
    Stands for occupational therapy.

Yes we should be playing with our children more to show them how to interact with others. It doesnt have to be all day everyday, and if the child has older siblings or even younger (not too young) that they play with then thats great too thats how they learn, but my guys dont interact that often they wanna do their own thing by themselves.

When we first started. We put a playset infront of both of my boys. They looked at it completely stumped had no idea what to do with it. There were little alien figures, a mum a dad some kids it was an alien home space station type of thing with rooms and such.

The bigger one started just lining the objects up biggest to smallest, colour co-ordinated and my three year old just pressed the buttons that made noise they both wanted to get away from it as quickly as possible.

After alot of our floor based playtime therapy at OT, my little one picks up the pink alien and says "this is the mummy" he makes it go into the kitchen and then says 'wunch is weady!!!' he picks up the dog alien and makes it chase the kids etc...

We work on sabotage now (because things will never 100% go to plan) so i will say "where does the daddy alien go?" he will say "to bed" so iput the alien in the kitchen, or in the car....wait for the reaction and ask him to show me where the bed is, " what do we say at bed time?" "goodnight!" etc at first he would lose the plot and have a meltdown, now he will make eye contact, and say 'noooo thats the kitchen!!!' etc

I really had no idea my children werent capable of basic things like that. Granted they are on the spectrum so not all kids will struggle like mine do, But i will make sure even if this bellybabe is 100% neuro typical, that i will do all of these things anyway to ensure they have great interaction and imagination skills. (and im aware that you dont need toys to build imagination, some kids can come up with hours of fun with a cardboard box) but my two look at a box literally "that's a box...you put things in it? " they just cant see how it could be made into a car or a house or whatever other kids might come up with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that DE. I bought my DS a Lego/Duplo play set and I am so glad that I did now! It has a hospital with beds, sink, ambulance etc and I recently bought him the Duplo Animal hospital. He is turning 3 and started to role play the other day (doctor doing check ups, making up what was wrong with the patients!). I will make more of an effort to get down and role play with him

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I will do things in the same room as DD while she plays, and chat to her about what she is doing, while Im doing housework.
    We also spend maybe 4 hours a day sitting together and reading/tea parties/colouring/rockets/at the park together.
    Im making a conscience effort to not sit there on my phone while shes doing stuff, as I found myself ignoring her in favour of the internet, which of course made me feel horrible