+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not very good with play. It depends on the activity and the day i suppose. If they are well and happy I set them up and leave them while i do other things, if they are sick or grumpy then i play with them. DH is the master player in this house, any time they play together it turns into a giggle-riot

I tend to focus on my relationship with them in other areas, we talk a lot about all kinds of things, read heaps of books, do crafty stuff. I have a great relationship with both of them so we are doing something right !

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I struggle a little with imaginative play and I find that quite often the boys would rather I just sit with them and talk about what they're doing than really playing.

We watch a little tv or DVD and snuggle or build Lego, bake, play outside - stuff like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I find play time painful too. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

DD used to happily play by herself but lately she is getting really bored and always wanting me to play too. I try and stick with craft and Lego or reading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Thanks all, I seem to think like you all then.
    What about teaching letters and numbers to an almost 3 year old? He doesn't seem that interested yet.
    He can say them, just not recognize them all.
    I find teaching him so much easier than playing so DS can count to 20 (he likes to stop at 11 until I prompt him to finish). He can say the alphabet minus E, and he says L,N,O,P..
    He recognises some letters but definitely not all and he doesn't think small letters are the same.
    I've gone back to revise shapes though and now he likes learning nursery rhymes.

He likes to be around me all day so it's very rare that he will go in a different room to play by himself. Sometimes he'll play cars by himself but he likes me to be around.
    The easiest thing to play is with his kitchen I find. I just sit and pretend to eat

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    U guys would hattteeeee what i have to do with my ds#2 then lol

My boys are in their own little world, they are happy to sit alone and play and do their own thing all day long if i let them, but this is a big problem because they (not so much ds#1 anymore, but ds#2 who is 3yrs) does not know how to interact with anything or anyone, in the intereaction/imagination department he is delayed /lacks the necessary building blocks in order to do so by about 18months) because ive never forced him to plag with me

So at OT i have been learning how to interact with him/play with him (im on the spectrum myself so its very very hard for me) and their way of teaching me is, sitting us in a room with toys and stuff, FILMING us, and the OT sitting in the corner observing, and instruction AKA telling me everything i do is wrong... Eugh nightmare!

So now ds#2 and i need to have multiple play sessions a day... 5+ sessions that last anywhere from 30-90 mins...

Im exhausted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends on the day. If my kids are playing happily alone i tend to just let them be - i will go check on them, ask what they are doing, get them to show me etc.
    When we do play i can usually only tolerate 30 mins max before i'm over it but i do make an effort.
    It depends on my mood also, if i'm having a great day i can tolerate a lot more and will play with them more, if i'm having a terrible day i become so much more impatient and will set them up with activities to do alone or with me just watching and not actively involved in.
    I teach them stuff by incorporating it into everyday stuff, rather than sitting down like a lesson ie i will point stuff out here and there and ask what colour or how many etc
    We also read everyday.
    I just go with the flow basically and follow their lead. Some days we play heaps together, other days not much at all. It is exhausting when they want to play together heaps....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine is into sport so I'm pretty lucky. I often take him down to the park to throw the basketball around or kick a soccer ball. He is fine playing on his own in the backyard being a "ninja" and having all sorts of adventures, I don't really like disrupting him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Phew! I feel sooo much better after reading this thread. DS plays on his own quite a bit. I kinda struggle to play with him and when I try, he's not interested lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What about teaching letters and numbers to an almost 3 year old? He doesn't seem that interested yet.
    I'm a teacher and don't believe in doing anything like that unless they're interested. Besides, that's what they learn in the first year of school, if they know all their letters, they'll be bored.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I started off letters by pointing out the capital letters in books, a lot of childrens books have large and fancy first capital letters on a page. we mostly focused on the first letters of their names, then our names, then family and friends. They have gradually picked them up that way, tho we still haven't talked much about lower case.