+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2year old wants to breastfeed-what do i do?

I have a 9 mth old DS who is breastfed, my Almost 2 yo DD was BF untill 5mths old. In the past week she has wanted to breastfeed, i have lots of milk and feel fine about it. She pops on for a minute or so and has a little drink and goes away happy. Its always after her brother has fed. Im not sure whether i should just let her do it or discourage her.
    Incidentally she has regressed in some ways lately, wants to sit in her old high chair, turns her food out and eats with her fingers instead of fork etc...so im sure the breastfeeding is just about gettjng the same attention her brother gets.
    Id like to know is this normal and what should i do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No harm in it. She has had a major life change. Imagine someone else suddenly joining the family and taking away what was once yours?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As long as you are happy with her feeding then go for it, I cant see any ill effects only benefits just be aware her poop might change

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read somewhere that they say older siblings can regress as its their way of getting attention that used to be centered on them and is now centered on the baby.

When DS2 came along DS1 definitley regressed a little....just in his mannerisims, etc. DS2 used to pretend he is a baby when DD came along so I pick him and up give him cuddles.

Even with my SIL when she had her second DS stopped walking and started crawling again.

They are all back to how they were now....so yes its completely normal!

As for the BFing......Guess it depends if you want to start BFing your 2 yo or not. If you are happy with it then it cant hurt but if you dont want to you can always express in a cup if its just the BM she is after and you dont want her feeding from you. Or just say no

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally , I would have loved my older children to come back to the breast but everyone is different. I tried to encourage it a little bit but they weren't interested. The health benefits are fantastic and would surely help with the attention/closeness when the baby seems to get it all. If you don't mind, go for it! Maybe it's just a stage anyway and she will go back to being a 'big girl' soon enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've heard it happens a lot. I remember when my aunt had a baby, her older baby, about 3, started bf again. I was only a kid then and it didn't seem weird. Some adults may have negative reactions to it unfortunately. But there's definitely no harm!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd go with it, especially if you've no problem with it!! It certainly won't be doing her any harm!!