+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anybody preggers with Restless leg syndrome or CFS?

Hi all!

I have been diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome AND periodic limb movement disorder (or better known as Restless leg syndrome).

I have been told by my Doctor that it will all get worse in pregnancy (and I cannot be treated with medication) and that I am nearly 100% going to get post natal depression due to lack of sleep.

Anybody have either or both of these conditions?

How did you go through pregnancy and beyond?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

gluteousmaximus  (09-07-2012)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had bad RLS through pregnancy . The one thing I found helped was having something textured to rub my legs against, so a really textured blanket?

That's awful that he said you'll get PND... is he a psychic?

Also try massaging your legs too.

ALSO RLS is a symptom of magnesium deficiency. When I took magnesium I felt a huuuuge improvement.

it is completely gone now

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

gluteousmaximus  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not currently pregnant, but I am recovering from cfs, and had rls in both my pregnancies.

I didn't have PND, but depression and anxiety (both of which I have had very mildly) are extremely common with cfs.

PM me if you want to chat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had restless leg syndrome before I was pregnant... I'd lay in bed trying to stretch my legs in every way possible cause it was so bad in my thighs. Now I just can't get comfortable even in a top-notch sealy posturepedic bed. Everything hurts.
    But thankyou for starting this thread cause it'll be a big help to read what helped other people with RLS and thankyou Greenhorn! I might take some magnesium I only heard it was from the brain not sending iron to the legs or something like that not sure exactly what it was but yeah.
    I hope everything goes well for you MsImpatient...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I had bad RLS through pregnancy . The one thing I found helped was having something textured to rub my legs against, so a really textured blanket?

That's awful that he said you'll get PND... is he a psychic?

Also try massaging your legs too.

ALSO RLS is a symptom of magnesium deficiency. When I took magnesium I felt a huuuuge improvement.

it is completely gone now
    He is a really good sleep Dr (who's Mum created Jambaroo or whatever that is) so I am inclined to believe him when he says I will get PND (always a chance I won't.. But the point is the lack of sleep will increase my chances of getting it greatly)

He said that it was best to not take magnesium (the levels he prescribed) during pregnancy.

Cause RLS is an issue with the brain, not much is helping me deal with it. Can't sit still at the best of times! (I am hoping by spending time on my fit ball, it will strengthen my back and maybe help a little bit with the niggles in my back).

Did it disappear as soon as you gave birth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer from RLS even when not pregnant. And I suffer it TERRIBLY!!

-Epsom salt baths
    -Magnesium supplements
    -Bananas before bed
    -Stretching before bed - there are specific stretches you can do
    -Panadol when it got unbearable

Hope this helps!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to elaborate on my post...

Both myself and my almost 4 year old get RLS when we have gluten.

If you get some time, you should have a google. There is a very strong link between gluten intolerance/coeliac disease and RLS. In addition there are a lot of people with CFS who experience significant relief with a gluten free diet too.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so tired during the first few weeks I can hardly remember but I'm pretty sure it disappeared almost instantly.

Can you take a low dose magnesium? Why did he say not to take it? Have you had your magnesium levels tested? Any might help even if it's low enough to be safe. I was on 1000mg I'm pretty sure.

Yes RLS is neurological but it can also be a symptom of other things; low iron, low magnesium, low sodium etc. I know when I took the magnesium I didn't have RLS (or as bad, I was definitely sleeping better at night) those nights, and any I forgot them on was awful, so I remembered to take it!

I don't like it when Dr's 'prescribe' a medical condition that hasn't occured yet, I feel like it could be setting you up to get it. Kinda like telling yourself you're going to have a bad day & then you do because you brought the negativity into it before it began, iygwim? but that is just my personal opinion.

If all the ablve fails ^ I did have the rougher textured blanket that I'd 'rub' my legs against, which helped too.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A prominent neurologist I heard speaking suggests the SSS approach to RLS - Stretch, sex, sleep. And trying not to get too tired - but that isn't easy when you are sleep deprived

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I'm not currently pregnant, but I am recovering from cfs, and had rls in both my pregnancies.

I didn't have PND, but depression and anxiety (both of which I have had very mildly) are extremely common with cfs.

PM me if you want to chat.
    How did you cope with your energy levels after the births? I am currently off work (have been for MONTHS) due to my inability to get through the day. (always feel exhausted, tired, sleepy and use to be in constant 'am I in a dream' mode due to the sleep deprivation).

So glad you are 'recovering'.. Did anything occur to help you recover?

Quote Originally Posted by gluteousmaximus View Post
    I had restless leg syndrome before I was pregnant... I'd lay in bed trying to stretch my legs in every way possible cause it was so bad in my thighs. Now I just can't get comfortable even in a top-notch sealy posturepedic bed. Everything hurts.
    But thankyou for starting this thread cause it'll be a big help to read what helped other people with RLS and thankyou Greenhorn! I might take some magnesium I only heard it was from the brain not sending iron to the legs or something like that not sure exactly what it was but yeah.
    I hope everything goes well for you MsImpatient...

No probs! I know it is common to get it while pregnant, but for those of us who have it before, it seems to be a tricky subject!

I find the more I have done in the day, that worse I 'twitch' at night..

I was prescribed 600mg magnesium with 600mg of calcium and 200mg of B3... (before I was pregnant). Also no caffeine AT ALL, MSG, preservative 220.. All these things make it worse.

As far as the 'iron theory' goes, that does not apply to me.. I have hemochromatosis which is WAAAY too much iron in my body..

Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Just to elaborate on my post...

Both myself and my almost 4 year old get RLS when we have gluten.

If you get some time, you should have a google. There is a very strong link between gluten intolerance/coeliac disease and RLS. In addition there are a lot of people with CFS who experience significant relief with a gluten free diet too.
    This is something I might try (after eating some 'gluten patties' today mind you lol).. What do I have to loose?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I don't like it when Dr's 'prescribe' a medical condition that hasn't occured yet, I feel like it could be setting you up to get it. Kinda like telling yourself you're going to have a bad day & then you do because you brought the negativity into it before it began, iygwim? but that is just my personal opinion.
    I guess I take it as 'forewarned it forearmed'. The way he said it was not in a doom and gloom way. Just stating a fact and to pop back in and see him for treatment once I have the baby.

Really glad I started this thread now! I am very worried (as is my DP) about how I will cope once the baby is born, since I can barley get by without a day nap (of about 3 hours) and I sleep 10 - 14 hours a night, and am still not always 'good'.

If I am having a 'good' day, I can be out of the house for anywhere between 2 - 4 hours depending on what I am doing.

On a 'bad' day, I am back in bed after being up for 30mins for 6+ hours sleep.. (after my 10 -14 hours already had)..

My biggest sleep was 21 hours or something like that... (though that is long in the past thank goodness!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

gluteousmaximus  (11-07-2012)