+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all. Everything is moving again. After lots of hard poos the prunes kicked in along with the pears and boiled sugar water recommended by child youth. Hi French pear in relation to the vegetables. I mix pureed apple and in desperation to get her to eat pear I mixed it with pumpkin today. Farex and fruit is what she has for brekky. I don't know what I would feed other than straight fruit for brekky. But it seems things are moving for now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rice cereal and apple puree are two of the worst for blocking up! If it happens again you can get lactulose a stool softner my gp recommended when my DD was a similar age. You can maybe start to try yoghurt and weetbix soon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutterfly74 View Post
    Farex and fruit is what she has for brekky. I don't know what I would feed other than straight fruit for brekky.
    You could do plain fruit, veggies, yoghurt, porridge, toast with banana, eggs, french toast, crumpets, pancakes, weetbix... (some may be for slightly older bubs) but they don't need to have breakfast specific food they could have the same thing as you give for lunch or dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All , well the prunes had worked but she is back to being back to hard stools again. If Farex is known for constipation WHY is it the first thing they recommend babies start on. Don't they need to have cereal though?
    I tried apple and mango puree today apparantly mango can be good for loosing things as well. Today when i tried prunes she had obviously cottoned on. The other day she thought it was great today not so good. Although i think on top of being constipated she is either cutting teeth or getting sick.Today she grizzled all day and she is normally a very happy little bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try dried apricots. Put them in water for a while blended them up they can be had just like that or mixed with other food, rice cereal was a good one to mix with. It worked with both of mine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutterfly74 View Post
    If Farex is known for constipation WHY is it the first thing they recommend babies start on. Don't they need to have cereal though?
    No, Farex is not necessary. It was recommended as a first food due to the blandness, (tastes like cardboard), its allergen free and has added iron. Iron is needed in bubs diet after 6 months as their natural reserves start to run low. You can give bubs iron rich foods without needing to give farex.

You might find these link interesting too.

"When flour is refined to make cereal, the grain’s most nutritious part is removed. The flour essentially becomes sugar.

As white rice or flour turns into sugar in the body, it raises blood sugar and insulin levels. Worse, babies who consume highly-processed white rice or flour may become accustomed to this unhealthy diet in their older years"

http://parentingsquad.com/first-food...-for-your-baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there we had to get the doc out last night as she has been screaming, but I think that she is coming down with virus as she had a temp but being blocked up is not helping as she screamed as she did a poo last night whilst I massaged her tummy with legs bent up to her belly The doctor gave me a remedy to add to the sugar with water option, BUT he mentioned something called Maltogen to add to her bottles has anyone heard of this as I can't seem to find it. If i can't find that I am going to go with the coloxyl and I have a suppositry now if i really cant get things going. Which I hope I won't have to resort too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Poor bubba I hope she gets better soon, have you looked into a possible dairy intolerance ? What formula is she on ? Or just stop solids for a while and let her system repair itself

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume the doc could find no medical causes for the constipation? Just wondering as she has the fever too... Maltogen is just another form of sugar, I've not seen it here but perhaps your pharmacy can advise. Baby coloxyl and suppositories work well from what I've heard..I prefer remedies with a bit of magnesium as it draws water into the colon and gets things moving very gently. Infant's Friend and standard Mylanta come to mind, a few ml once or twice a day. Last night I gave bubba 3ml of Infant's Friend as no poo for two days. He had 3 between midnight and this morning! Yuck for us but I'm sure he feels better...) Hope your bubba is better soon...

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some 'Gold' formulas can cause constipation. Could it be an option to drop back to her Step 1 Formula, and see how she goes. DD was constipated from 6 months to 2 years, all the time, and seemed to come good when she stopped formula altogether. DS is on a different brand of formula, and his poos are totally different!
    I was also told that apple is not great for a constipated baby. They recommend grated apple for people with diarhoea. Pear, prune juice and apricot are good to help get things moving, as well as water to drink. I hope you can get some answers, and she does a nice soft poo for you soon!!!