+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation, bottle fed and now on solids.

Hi all. Just wondering if your bubs have now become constipation as a result of starting solids. My girl has been on solids for about 3 weeks and now has become constipated. I have tried brown sugar in water recommended by child youth and health. Prune juice, nothing seems to work and she is just miserable as can't poo and if she does there is nothing of it and she will strain so much to she is red in the face. It is causing her a lot of pain as she trys to pass stools. Sorry for TMI, plus she has moved up to the next stage in formula which is probably also causing constipation. She is not keen on pears so trying to get them into her which may help is difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Seriously watered down pear juice is what worked for my DD. Have you tried coloxyl? I didn't have to use it but the pediatrician told me to use it for DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Peaches and plums as well, though you probably won't be able to find any. I'm not sure on bottle-feeding, but can you add extra water to her formula, would that help? (hopefully some ff-ing mummies will be able to help you out).

Also avoid constipating foods such as bananas and rice cereal for the time being.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How old is she and what solids has she tried?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor Bubba, nothing worse than constipation! Maybe it's the change in formula combined with some of the solids? My boy is 5 months and has been FF since birth, I've found which formula to be a big factor on whether he is constipated or not. He gets an extra 10ml water in each bottle, plus once or twice a day Baby Biotic by Bioceuticals which seems great for his digestion. He's not real keen on solids so I am starting him very slowly. If i can get him to take a little Heinz Fruity Pear (4 - 6 month range) mixed with rice cereal and formula it's pretty easy on his tum; whereas apple / banana will cause harder poos straight away. Have had no luck with veggies yet, not interested! Good luck..)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all. Thanks, she has had apple, pumpkin, pear and carrot so far. Avocado was a no go she wasn't interested in. She loves apple puree but maybe i will stop that for a while. Mind you she is not keen on pear so thats why she has apple with her farex of the morning. I also give water in a bottle extra. After speaking with the child health nurse today. She has no had a bowl of pureed prunes. LOL IF that don't work I don't know what will. They don't want to use any sort of supositry yet as that is likely to give her alot more discomfort with cramping. Poor little thing she is straining so much and cant get anything out. Heres cheers to prunes then. thanks all for your feed back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our problem was solved by adding and small ice cube sized block of puréed prunes and half a teaspoon of flax seed oil to every solid feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutterfly74 View Post
    Hi all. Thanks, she has had apple, pumpkin, pear and carrot so far. Avocado was a no go she wasn't interested in. She loves apple puree but maybe i will stop that for a while. Mind you she is not keen on pear so thats why she has apple with her farex of the morning. I also give water in a bottle extra. After speaking with the child health nurse today. She has no had a bowl of pureed prunes. LOL IF that don't work I don't know what will. They don't want to use any sort of supositry yet as that is likely to give her alot more discomfort with cramping. Poor little thing she is straining so much and cant get anything out. Heres cheers to prunes then. thanks all for your feed back
    wow any tips on how you get her to try so many flavours esp the veggies? I hope the prunes work, and good to know re the flax seed too .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would stop the Farex or rice cereal, its well know to cause constipation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would also stop the rice cereal and give fruit (apple and pear) at each feed. So do the savoury carrot/pumpkin then follow with the sweet apple/pear and also give cool boiled water throughout the day.

I hope it clears up quickly the poor darling