+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default When a celebrity uses the baby name you picked

does it ruin it for you?

We had decided on Penelope as our girl name and were very happy about it - until someone informed me Kourtney Kardashian just had a baby...and named it Penelope

It shouldn't really matter right? but i keep thinking 'what if people think i used the name because Kourtney did'. Once a celeb uses a name it tends to become linked with them...

Would it bother you if a celeb used a name you had your heart set on? or is it no big deal and i'm just being an emotional pregnant person.
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 09-07-2012 at 18:28.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I completely understand where you're coming from. However I think with a traditional name like Penelope it shouldn't matter. It's not like "Harper" or "Sparrow" where people would assume you'd copied; Penelope is a classic name .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's a big deal, especially having a child with the same name as Kourtney's. I bet you'll find a lot of people will be like 'Kourtney who?' I think if you love the name you should go with it!

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it would depend on the celebrity. If Lara Bingle or Paris Hilton used a name I had picked I would be mortified. If it was some one i admired and respected I would not mind so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I don't know who this Kourtney character is. Penelope is lovely and classic!

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I named my DD Harper. She was named after my favourite musician who had a lot of influence in my life. A couple weeks after DD was born, Nat Bassigwaithe named her daughter Harper and then there were the Beckhams. I honeslty don't give two hoots about it. It does annoy me when people assume I copied the Beckhams as my daughter is a lot older. I would go for it. Penelope is a beautiful name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She's not a very big celebrity, and that name is not unusual, so I don't see the issue.

If it's something that you don't hear much, and a famous celebrity uses it (let's say, "Apple,"), then yeah, probably would put me off... but a normal name from some semi b-grade celeb? Yeah, I wouldn't stress.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify, Kourtney is one of the Kardashians right?

If so, as Sassy said, B grade celeb, normal name, go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks everyone, you have put me mind at ease. It is a classic name and Kourtney isn't that much of a celebrity (?) so bugger it, i'm sticking with i love.
    I'm getting a bit ahead myself though as i could very well be having a boy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

jbish  (09-07-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm surprised she didn't name her 'Kenelope'

Lovely name though!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (10-07-2012),jbish  (09-07-2012)