+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Back to back cycles

This cycle I am in is a FET with an embryo from my first stim cycle.
    If I get a BFN I am straight into a Stim cycle.
    It's the whole timing bit that seems rather pressured to me... one day you're on TWW then what? AF and injecting?

What experience of back to back do people have?
    Do clinics ever do stim cycles back to back? just wondering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I just had first [stimulated/HRT] FET and got BFN yesterday. I assumed we'd have to have a month off but found out today that we can do back-to-back. Not sure what to do. Have to make up mind before AF visits. Any advice to consider? I know it has to be our decision and an extra month might be good to build up positive emotions & healthier bank account!

[ttc for 2.5 years. First IVF - april/12 but cancelled due to OHSS. 9 eggs; 3 fertilised; 3 frozen; 1 FET = 2 frozen left. We are lucky we have DS born 08 after 2yrs 9months ttc. Conceived him on herbs/natural supplements/fluke/miracle, but not working this time, thus the ivf. BTW -How do I add a signature to my profile??]

Fortitude - good luck with this FET cycle. Hopefully you don't have to worry about deciding whether to do back-to-back or not. What factors have you thought about regarding back-to-back?? Yeah, it's "funny" how one minute you're hoping for the best and then if you get a BFN you're back on the roller coast for more!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to girlo77 For This Useful Post:

Fortitude  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by girlo77 View Post

Fortitude - good luck with this FET cycle. Hopefully you don't have to worry about deciding whether to do back-to-back or not. What factors have you thought about regarding back-to-back?? !
    Sorry to hear your cycle was a BFN.
    Thanks, hope I don't need to worry about it either.
    For me I want to do the cycles as close as possible due to my age and therefore declining fertility.
    BUT I know it will take a huge emotional toll.
    Last stim cycle was BFP turned BFN. It was a real emotional strain to get so close and have it all fall apart last minute- I felt so helpless. My worry is the gearshift in my mind from TWW to BFN immediately letting go of that and start a new Cycle. I know if it turns out like last time there will not be a back to back as they made me wait a month. But a BFN is still a loss to face- after all the embyro was alive when it was transferred. Well, that's how I see it anyway.
    Financially, it will hurt to keep going. But for me the longer I leave it the lower the odds to financially it makes better sense to plow ahead.
    Of course there is the toll you pay for all the hormones you take.
    Time: all those visits to the clinic, early starts, rushing about. That takes it's piece out of your life too.

What things am I forgetting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never on a back to back but had convinced FS that I wanted one if my last cycle didn't work. I think it depends on your FS as well as whether you are a high responder. If you are you may have to have at least a month off to prevent possibility of OHSS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I/we ended up deciding to wait a cycle.

Fortitude - I understand your point about it being financially better to acheive a BFP & baby earlier rather than later.

I am posting my reasons in case it helps anyone else. The thing about IVF & TCC is that its all very personal and there are no averages, no rules of thumb etc that you can follow. But I find it helpful to see what factors other people consider and then see if it's applicable or not to us.

So, my reasons, this time, not to do back-to-back was partly financial [we just need a month to get on top of things - which will help me be in a more positive frame of mind], but mostly I was swayed by the fact that my BT would be just before my brother's 5th child is due and my pregnant sister coming to visit with her 3 kids. If i got a BFN it would right in the middle of all that going on, thenI would be depressed and not be able to be as happy for them etc. So I figured if I wait, then I can enjoy the arrival of my niece and enjoy my sister's visit and then look forward to doing my 2nd FET after that. If this one fails, then we will do the 3rd FET back-to-back.