+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Manduca vs Ergo

I've narrowed my search down to these two carriers, so now i'm turning to you guys for any extra feedback. I'm wanting to use from birth up until atleast 1yr - Will I require newborn inserts on either of these, which style is the best etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was given an ergo as my baby shower gift from work (i told them what i wanted). It does require a baby insert for a newborn - i got one at baby bunting for $26 on sale last week. I havent used the carrier yet but i read lots of good reviews about it. I got the performance as my partner is quite tall, the original didnt look like it would fit him well. I plan to use mine from birth onwards as the main baby transport, using my pusher only if i really have to.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 09-07-2012 at 16:11. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Main differences between the Ergo & Manduca:

Ergo requires an infant insert, Manduca has one built in.
    Manduca straps can be crossed over, Ergo can not.
    Manduca waist strap is longer to accommodate larger babywearers, Ergo is shorter.
    Ergo sleeping hoods snap on to the shoulder straps, Manduca has a sliding clip (hard to explain, a little more fiddly than an Ergo).

I find the Ergo's straps to be more padded than the Manduca and I also found it easier to adjust the straps on an Ergo (though that may have been because I had used an Ergo before & was used to the way they adjust).

I have owned both and prefer an Ergo, though I haven't used either to carry a newborn. I still carry my son in our Ergo daily, he's 15mo and 11.5kgs.

Try asking on the babywearing buy/swap/sell on Facebook to see if there is a sling library in your area so you can see both carriers IRL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personal preference I think as they are quite similar but I LOVE my Manduca Carrier. Even DP wears it occasionally. Something he swore he would never do My DD is 16 months and about 10kg and I easily and comfortably carry her in it. I can also comfortably (but rarely do) carry DS2 who is 2.5 and about 13kg!
    Last edited by expression; 09-07-2012 at 17:06. Reason: Spelling mistake

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I struggled with the insert in the Manduca - it's quite hard to get baby in from standing up. I wasn't impressed with the marks from the fabric on my DDs legs and she wasn't that chubby!!
    When you have a newborn to get it snug around the body you have to pull carrier really tight but you lack head support.

So I went back to using my Ergo and insert. It was much more simpler getting baby in out of the car left no marks and gave better head support and sat baby in a better position.

I like the ergo for one handed adjustment, useable pockets and the Performance has longer straps - I had the performance insert too - awesome for summer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I own both and both are great - but I prefer my Ergo. Mainly because of the hood which is a lot better. I use mine a lot for DD because 4/7 days a week she has at least one nap in the Ergo.

I didn't carry a newbie in either though.

Both are great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone! I do like the look of the ergo better, it looks alot less bulky and simple. I was thinking of getting the Ergo Original but it sounds like the preformance may be better choice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have both >.< I didn't buy the insert for the ergo as I decided I'd keep with the manduca while bub was young.
    Though I have been using my Caboo more as my bub prefers it -_- kids these days

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    Thanks everyone! I do like the look of the ergo better, it looks alot less bulky and simple. I was thinking of getting the Ergo Original but it sounds like the preformance may be better choice?
    Your a Brissie girl too? I would be getting a sport as a minimum and the Performance to maximize comfort during summer. If you went organic classic maybe but it's just too hot here over summer for a full cotton carrier (that's my experience anyways )