+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Government Paid parental leave question.

Hi,
    My wife will be due on 24th September with our 2nd son. She went back to work on 22nd August 2011 working 38hrs a fortnight.
    We have worked out that to be eligible for the parental leave that our baby needs to be born no earlier than 17th September, which is the 392 days required. However my wife is planning to start annual leave through her work from about 3rd September.
    Will this annual leave mean that we don't meet the 392 days, or does centrelink still go by the date of birth of our son?
    Does the leave my wife is taking still get included in the 392 days prior to DOB?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I investigated the same thing. And basically if she's been back at work 12 months since having first bub she's entitled. Their website says you must be working employed (not on any leave) with your employer to be eligible. So to me that's 365 days so she should be fine! It's not the hours worked, it's the physical time. Cos I'm pretty sure eligibility can be for a casual worker doing 1-2 days a week, as long as they've worked 12 months continuously it's ok!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sadly I got pregnant a smidge early and miss out by a few months!

Hopefully it works out, but if not like me she's still eligible for the baby bonus instead. Not as much, but tax free it's still pretty good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundleoflove View Post
    I investigated the same thing. And basically if she's been back at work 12 months since having first bub she's entitled. Their website says you must be working employed (not on any leave) with your employer to be eligible. So to me that's 365 days so she should be fine! It's not the hours worked, it's the physical time. Cos I'm pretty sure eligibility can be for a casual worker doing 1-2 days a week, as long as they've worked 12 months continuously it's ok!
    Hi, the website says 13 months, or 392 days. So we are cutting it fine. My only issue was of centrelink go up to the 3rd of September when my wife starts leave, or if they still go up to the DOB

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just took this off the centrelink website:

Work test

To meet the Paid Parental Leave work test you must have:
    • worked for at least 10 of the 13 months before the birth or adoption of your child and
    • worked for at least 330 hours in that 10-month period (just over one day a week), with no more than an eight-week gap between any two consecutive working days.
    A working day is a day on which you have worked for at least one hour.
    If pregnancy complications and/or a premature birth have prevented you from meeting the work test, just let us know. There are some exceptions.
    You do not need to be working full time in order to be eligible for Parental Leave Pay.

I hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I claimed it for my last baby and I had worked 10 months and 3 days between baby 1 and 2. I was very open with centrelink and they said at least 10 out of the previous 13 months. Number 3 is due in November and I'll be back at work 12 months and 1 week between leaves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately, the Centrelink site is very light on the nitty gritty of PPL.
    Some of the above posts are factually incorrect.

You need to read this immediately:
    http://guidesacts.fahcsia.gov.au/gui...guide-2.5.html

You CAN be on paid leave with those days/weeks being counted as 'working' and receive PPL. If your wife's annual leave is paid, then it accrues as time worked and counts towards the PPL work test.

For the entire year before my baby was born I did not physically work at my job site. I used up all of my long service leave and sick leave and still received PPL.

Activities considered as 'work'

Qualifying work includes paid work or paid leave.

While the concept of 'paid leave' is self-explanatory, the PPL rules provide that a person is taken to be on paid leave where the person is on unpaid leave from their employer but is being paid the equivalent of wages by another source such as workers or accident compensation or similar payments in respect of that employment. Where an employee is on paid leave from their employment or is absent from work and receiving worker's compensation, the employee's normal hours of work count as qualifying work for parental leave pay purposes.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BH-tech; 06-01-2015 at 10:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    You CAN be on paid leave with those days/weeks being counted as 'working' and receive PPL. If your wife's annual leave is paid, then it accrues as time worked and counts towards the PPL work test.
    Was just coming in to say this too. As long as your wife's annual leave is paid & entitled (so not taking unpaid leave) then it counts as 'employed'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Was just coming in to say this too. As long as your wife's annual leave is paid & entitled (so not taking unpaid leave) then it counts as 'employed'.
    Hmm...this is interesting. Maybe why they don't clearly write this, so people like me think they're not eligible and don't apply for it.
    I may have to go back over my leave forms for dates!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Oh fantastic. I will be on annual leave (at half pay) for the three months before I return to work next year, and I hope to be (just) pregnant when I return, so I may still be eligible for PPL.