+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I'll go: my entree was 14 and main was 24 plus 2 glasses of wine/half a bottle (if i split a bottle with someone) that's 18, so 55 plus 5 for a tip and round it up to $65 for good measure in case someone undercalculated. If it means i've paid $5-$10 more than i should then who cares. Most of my friends do this so we always end up with far too big a tip. Then you have to go around the table and make whoever put in far too much 'fess up and take some change but it works fine because if i'm really skint i can just put exactly what i owe and no-one's going to care as there's plenty to cover everyone.

I could have written this reply - its exactly what i do! The fight at the end where someone is forced to take back some money is always entertaining.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends....
    Most of the time we split. But if someone had a really light meal or no drinks then we all pay seperately.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We split it evenly with most of my friends. We dont get down to calculating how many glasses of wine people had. Work friends, sometimes they like to get the calculator out and work it out to the cent, drives me nuts!!

Or last night, DP rang me a bit cranky because he'd gone out for dinner with his family while he was in brissie. He was happy to shout his dad's share, but when the bill came, the other family members said, well you've got more money than us, you can pay. So he ended up paying it all, that happens a fair bit and also makes me cranky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We normally split it as per the meals we had. Did this recently when I went out with a group of friends. It's not fair that the person who just had a dessert has to pay equally with people who had a main, a dessert & a drink. Never done it any other way. Most people are generous and usually we end up with too much money, not short.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always split the bill evenly so normally ends up being an expensive meal for us - I don't drink alcohol and DP is normally driving so will have one alcoholic drink if any at all.

I normally take it as a given that we will be subsidising everyone's cocktails and glasses of wine.....if we don't want to do this then we decline the invite out.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We regularly go out in a group of 15 - 20.

Each and every time, the money at the end has always been PERFECT!

Everyone knows that they are to pay for what they consumed, and nobody try's on any short changing.

If it's a birthday, everyone rounds up a bit more in order to pay for the birthday meal.

IF there is a little too much, it will be given as a tip OR given to the person who it's pretty evident they chucked in too much.

NEVER had people pulling out the calculators or anything like that!

If it was a smaller gathering, I would think it would be split down the middle IF the meals and drinks were pretty much on par.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've always paid for my own... not just divided the bill so many ways. Why? Because I'm poor, and I can't afford to fund someone's expensive steak and multiple alcoholic beverages. I often make my meal choices based not only on what I want to eat, but what I can realistically afford to buy. That means I might allow myself 1 exxy drink and a reasonably-priced meal.

If others want to spend a fortune on their food, then that's fine... but I can't afford to help fund it.

Right now, as someone who's had most of her stomach removed, I definitely wouldn't want to split it evenly... I can eat basically nothing anyway, so there's no way my pathetic entree and 1 drink is going to measure up to someone else's 3 course meal with multiple drinks.

ETA - I've never gotten out a calculator though. I figure out my meal is "approx $30" and then chuck that in. I round UP rather than rounding down... to make sure I've paid for myself in full. Any change is usually left as a tip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the restaurant and friends with but generally we each pay for our own meal, either separate billing or working out roughly what we spent. Usually chuck in a few extra dollars just in case. If we go to a tapas or banquet style meal we may split the bill evenly, or otherwise occasionally with one particular friend we "shout" each other dinner, so I may pay for both our meals one time, and then she pays both our meals the next. It all works out eventually, never had a squabble about paying for meals that I can remember