+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mothers group pay for whatever we eat &drink. We don't make a big scene out of it though and don't calculate down to the cent! Personally I'm hardly ever drinking and I don't really want to pay for everyone else's bottles of wine.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah and I rarely drink either, so would very rarely even split a bill. Not fair cos alcoholic drinks cost a fortune!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundleoflove For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    If the meals are fairly evenly priced we split it evenly between the amount of people but if say I only had chips while someone else had ribs we pay for our own meal.
    We're young and don't always have enough money to pay for other people's meals thus why I would order something small if I knew I couldn't afford a big dinner but still wanted to catch up. Most of my friends are like that too so it works well

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think splitting 50-50 is not fair if some people are drinking more than others or if someone has a $30 steak and another person has a $15 snitty.

If im out with friends and we're eating similar things we might split. But if someone has an Extra drink they'll own up and say "I had an extra drink, I'll put in an extra $5."

If we've totally ordered different priced items people will usually guesstimate what theirs cost (or if totally had no idea they'd ask to look at the bill). They throw in a few extra bucks just to be safe. At the end we end up with excess and end up debating how much we should tip and who should get some back as they paid too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In most situations I pay for what I ordered but round it up a bit to cover any shortfall/tip. I once went to lunch with colleagues, I had $14 in my wallet so ordered something that was $13.50 and just drank water. I was so embarrassed when they split the bill evenly and everyone was supposed to pay $19, I didn't know what to do!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (09-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my group of friends we are generally not willing to work out what we had so all put in what we're happy spending and generally end up with wayyyy more than the bill came too so split the change between tips and everyone.

We generally get banquets so it much the same for everyone anyway. We have a couple of particularly generous friends who try to pay for everyone allll the time, which is absolutely lovely but we've worked out sneaky ways of paying them back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ask for separate bills, that works out the easiest. If that isn't an option than split evenly if the meals/drinks were all fairly similar in price or if not then everyone put in around what they spent - not to the point of getting out a calculator and working out every cent, just a rough divide.
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 09-07-2012 at 14:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never ever calculate it down to the last cent. Usually its either separate bills or else we just guess-timate.
    Op, while I have never had your exact scenario happen my mums best friends is one of those perpetual complainers so its always embarrasing to have her 'find' something to complain about on the way out (i.e if its not the food its that it was too cold or loud or the service was slow).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it's a small group of family or close friends, we pay equal amounts. If it's a larger group with people we don't really class as close to us, we each pay for our own. Nevr had an issue, and at no time was it even really talked about first, it just happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We pay for what we eat. We just add it up and usually round up to the nearest dollar. We've never had a problem with this.

I get the concept of splitting it down the middle. I've been with people who do that and it's been fine - except for one time. DH and I were desperately saving for our house deposit. We'd given up all luxuries. Our friends invited us to a REALLY expensive restaurant for one of their birthdays. We decided to go but discussed beforehand that we would order cheaper meals and no entree, dessert etc. we did this and had a great night. Then came the bill. There were 10 people - our friends decided the bill would be split 10 ways. Many other people had had numerous drinks, entree, high end seafood dishes, dessert and coffee. I was upset about it. No joke, if I'd known I would have been shouting other people some of their meal I would have had dessert and coffee myself!!!

Sometimes people are paying attention to their spending.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (09-07-2012)