+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible Lactose Intolerance

Hi there,

My little man (6 weeks) has been a windy baby since bith but over the last 3-4 weeks he has started spitting up after every breastfeed multiple times. Sometimes even up to 10 times in half an hour after feeding.
    He also requires to be held up for a good minimum hour before he can be layed down for sleep or even put in his bouncer without it causing him discomfort.

He doesnt seem to be in pain when spitting up but he just does it ALOT.
    I looked into Lactose intolerance and read something that sounded similar which was not an intolerance but a lactose overload from my breast producing so much milk that he was filling up on too much foremilk and not getting enough of my hind milk. because he is ingesting so much lactose hit little gut is getting an overload of lactose and cant digest it all, hence the name.
    i tried the treatment it suggested and it seemed to ease but then it slowed my milk production down. so ive been up and down trying to keep up and my breasts still feel like the first few days after my milk comes in and is very uncomfortable.

I bought a trial pack or lactose free formula to try him on and he has not spit up once after having a bottle this formula and has even slept for double the time he usually sleeps at night (which is not long).

So is he lactose intolerant?? How do GPs test for it???

This is my third baby and i fed both first 2 bubs bt breast until 1 year with no problems.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. we are seeing the gp on wednesday, was just hoping for some experiences or advice from fellow mummy's

thanks
    Last edited by nikkibruce; 09-07-2012 at 12:51. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could be reflux too. I'd go to the dr or paed before making a diagnoses at home. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your on the right track. Could be reflux too. Do you block feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter was similar and it was reflux. Could be the thicker formula is what's helping him rather than being lactose free. Definitely see a pead.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was exactly the same... He was diagnosed with reflux and put on meds. They made no difference. He was then put on a prescription formula (neocate) and we had a new baby! No more vomiting, he was settled and he slept!

Turned out it wasn't reflux after all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my second bub was diagnosed with reflux early and put on meds too which i found after 2 days made her worse so i threw them out, she soon worked herself out. I didn't have any issues with overproductive breasts with her she was just colicky. She had worked all her issues out by 4-5 weeks but my little man seems to be getting worse by the day. I don't think he has reflux!!!!

The lactose free formula i tried him on does not have a thickener in it so keep it down, it is the same as normal formula in thickness just made of a whey product therefor no lactose adn he does not spit up at all after having these bottles.

My hubby works away so when he got home yesterday i showed him how bub reacts with the lactose free formula for a few feeds in a row and then fed the little man a breast feed and he then continued to spit up 7 times in 30 minutes. Very runny clear spit ups without much curdling.

I feel bad for the little fella as well as my other 2 kids because i can't offer them as much time as they deserve because i'm always walking around trying to settle this little boy, and when i finally get him settled long enough to put him down or to bed i have other mummy stuff to keep up with aswell. Hard when daddy is away for 7 days at a time.

Being optimistic and as i said we have app with GP tomorrow just wanted some feedback from other mums that may have a baby with lactose intolerance or had similar issues.

Thanks for your feedback so far ladies. Really appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw my gp who gave me a script for 5 Tins of karicare delact . I'm to try that then go back to ar and see if there is a difference. It's so frustrating and upsetting cause you know something is wrong but not sure what it is