+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    I think most people have addictions wether they realise it or not.

I have an addiction to food. It's just not as overtly dangerous as other addictions and is socially acceptable. I'll never be able to just eat without having some sort of internal dialogue about am I hungry- so I need this, have I had enough/should I stop etc etc.

I can't imagine what you guys go through though. Depending on the addiction there are a lot of support organisations. I have someone close to me that has been clean for about 10 years, and after an injury slipped into overusing the pain meds... She could feel herself going and called NA. She's back on track and THAT MUCH more aware now. If she's feeling the urges she's going to call on support to stay away rather than support to get out again.
    I agree. I think that food is sometimes even harder than drugs. It's everywhere, you have to have it to some degree you can't just be completely abstinent from it. I have so been there. NA is a bit hard in our area, I wont explain why

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was just reading the other day how we are all hard wired for addiction in our biology with how our reward system works in the brain. Psychology Today also had a refreshing article that pointed out more people quit addictions than maintain them, and surprisingly most people successfully quit without any professional help.

Obviously some things are harder to quit than others, but I think it helps to know there are more success stories than not.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I believe the "once and addict always and addict statement". That doesn't mean the person will ever do whatever it is again, but just that it is easier to slip back into it than for a person who has never had that addiction.

For me I smoke - I have been smoking on and off since I was 13 - that is over 20 years, I have gone for years and years without one, but I always manage to slip back into it. I am a social smoker now, and I find that harder to quit that when I smoked every day. It obviously isn't physical - it is all in my mind. What a powerful thing the brain is.

I also have a salt addiction big time, I found quiting smoking easier than trying to quit salt. I was reading the other day that salt can be more addictive that cocaine! I was truly shocked. But it explains why it is so hard to give up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i know for me i swap it. so the addiction never goes i just replace with something that feels or seems more acceptable and less damaging. i wish i could be addicted to something productive like exercising or housework but even if i was i know id take to a level that became so addictive it wouldn't be productive any more.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep, I think it is important to be aware that it is always there. Sometimes it catches you by surprise and knocks you for a six. Interesting about salt!

Miss Muppett, yeah, I guess it depends on which addictions hey? If you look at certain things it is easy to believe the opposite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpysmurf View Post
    i know for me i swap it. so the addiction never goes i just replace with something that feels or seems more acceptable and less damaging. i wish i could be addicted to something productive like exercising or housework but even if i was i know id take to a level that became so addictive it wouldn't be productive any more.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Yep, I do that too...like internet or coffee or whatever, I don't it! Moderation has never been my strong point! Exercise is one of them for me, but housework, no, lol!

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a highly addictive person. I'm only 25 and for 10 years have struggled with smoking, alcohol, and self harm. The craving is always there. I was addicted to food, had surgery to stop myself from eating (some days I was eating 5 times the calories an adult MALE should), and sadly have replaced that with my old addiction of smoking. Which has made me depressed and there comes the self harm cravings. I will never not be an addict. I will battle it until the day I die.

Even silly things like games or Facebook become addictions to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by StretchmarkBarbie View Post
    I'm a highly addictive person. I'm only 25 and for 10 years have struggled with smoking, alcohol, and self harm. The craving is always there. I was addicted to food, had surgery to stop myself from eating (some days I was eating 5 times the calories an adult MALE should), and sadly have replaced that with my old addiction of smoking. Which has made me depressed and there comes the self harm cravings. I will never not be an addict. I will battle it until the day I die.

Even silly things like games or Facebook become addictions to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    most of teh time the individual addiction can be linked back to a chemical.

exercise - endorphins
    Food - sugar or salt
    internet - (social inetractions good or bad) - dopamine

etc etc

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (12-07-2012),MissMuppet  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    most of teh time the individual addiction can be linked back to a chemical.

exercise - endorphins
    Food - sugar or salt
    internet - (social inetractions good or bad) - dopamine

etc etc
    Wish they had it in pill form.

Anyway I will always struggle with my nicotine addiction whether I smoke or not. I can go without smoking for 2 years and still its there sitting in the back of my mind like a little evil troll.
    I once again quit smoking 3 weeks ago and to be perfectly honest Im just about ready to just give in. Life is never ever the same without smokes.
    Some people can quit and be happy about it others like myself quit and spend every drug free moment resenting the fact we had to quit.
    Ive read the books and done the programs makes no difference.

So for me yes once an addict always an addict. Im just not sure I care anymore.