+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is evidence of genetic predispositions to addiction (no single "addiction gene"though) so I believe some people are more inclined to become addicted to things, myself included. Smoking is an example.
    But people can kick addiction and never be addicted to anything ever again. It depends on the person. I would never write anyone off as once an addict, always an addict. There are some amazing stories out there of addicts who have turned their lives around through sheer hard work and strength.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have never smoked or done drugs so I can't really comment, but my psychologist did a test with me a while back and said I have an extremely addictive personality, so I am grateful for that. I get addicted to minor things very quickly and have a hard time even being without the Internet for more than a few hours, so I would hate to see myself battling against anything more serious.

I think there is probably always an elevated risk, especially lifestyle changes or getting back into familiar patterns.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallflower For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    There is evidence of genetic predispositions to addiction (no single "addiction gene"though) so I believe some people are more inclined to become addicted to things, myself included. Smoking is an example.
    But people can kick addiction and never be addicted to anything ever again. It depends on the person. I would never write anyone off as once an addict, always an addict. There are some amazing stories out there of addicts who have turned their lives around through sheer hard work and strength.
    Oh, just to clarify, I would never write anyone off either!
    And yes, I agree with what you wrote.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Mmmmm, yep, I don't think there is any one answer either. Addictive personality, nature vs nurture, oppurtunity, coping skills, life circumstance...all come into it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (09-07-2012),Wallflower  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do not believe the "once an addict always an addict" statement!

I too believe that people are predisposed and have addictive personalities. But I believe with the right help people can change/turn around their addictiveness.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3InATub View Post
    I do not believe the "once an addict always an addict" statement!

To put it another way ....Recovered or always recovering?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Mmmmm, yep, I don't think there is any one answer either. Addictive personality, nature vs nurture, oppurtunity, coping skills, life circumstance...all come into it.
    Agreed. There are just SO many factors at play.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think different people would be classed as recovered and others would be classed as always recovering.....

Just an example. I was a pack a day smoker for about 8 years. I gave up 8 years ago and DO NOT have any desire to smoke again. It repulses me. My sister was also a pack a day smoker and quit many years before me and she is always fighting the urge. She has constant lapses and starts and stops. When she starts it is short lived, but she does have a constant struggle with it. She could then go for a year or so and not smoke.....

I would class me as recovered and her as always recovering.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, there's just no blanket answer I guess, I wish there was...eveyone is different

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that sometimes it's just your mind automatically turns back to what it knows best when you are stuggling with something...or even when you are ridiculously happy! I think it's always there.