+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bilingual kids and speech development

Inspired by another thread about first words, I am wondering what other people's experiences are if they are bringing up their child to learn 2 languages.
    English is my husbands second language but his English is perfect but we are trying to teach our daughter his language as well as English.
    We have noticed that she understands both languages equally but that she isn't talking much. She does babble a lot and says mum, dad and dog in English and water in the other language. She is 16 months old.

Did you find that your children took longer to talk than others?

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes.

My DS is bilingual and he had speech delay (but this was also due to his autism).

The Paed explained to us, that even though they understand both languages, their brain is trying to decide what language to reply in.

My inlaws only speak their language to him, DH and I in English only.
    He understands the other language perfectly fine, and it took him a long time to say any words, in either language...... but he has now decided, that he wants to speak only English, and will now only reply in English (which p****s off my inlaws ).

He started babbling at age 3, then full words by age 4 followed by some sentences, he's now 5.5 and still has issues with being understood sometimes. But we're working on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is only 15 months but I'm in the same position as you. He understands both languages but doesn't have many words yet. Trying not to worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    My DS understands both but English is his primary language. He doesn't speak in a lot of sentences, but boys are often a bit slower to speak in sentences as a generalisation anyway.

I grew up bilingual. My parents spoke to me in mother tongue and I replied in English. I had to re-learn French when I was a bit older but I am so grateful that they gave me that base.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not my own children but my god sisters I'd guess you call them on my step families side.
    Their mother is Greek, father Spanish and they live in Sydney. From about 2 they spoke all 3 languages (English as well) but we did find that they would mix them up slightly. Most conversations were a mix of all 3 languages. Now at 4 and almost 7 they are fluent in all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here. At 16 months my DD understood both languages but was not talking much. Now she's 2 and a half and talking better ( in English) than some 3 year olds apparently!
    We are slowly getting her to say a few words in Italian which is so exciting and we like to teach her both words for each new thing she learns. Hopefully it pays off in the long run.
    Don't stress OP they all talk in their own time ...it's as if one day it all just clicks and then you can't shut them up lol