+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Should we as adults should stand on our own 2 feet? *spin off*

Do you think as adults we should learn to stand on our own two feet from a money perspective?
    Do you think gifts of money support and promote our ability to look after our families ourselves (emotionally) or do you think it hinders us in some way?
    Do you think financial support indebits family members to one another?

These other threads have made me wonder how I would actually feel if another family member gave us money (it's never happened and it's not likely too) I've always thought it would be a lovely gift, a blessing but now I'm wondering if never having to really struggle would of made me the same person I am today? I'm not saying that those that have been given gifts aren't proud but I am proud that hubby and I have always managed to get through our troubles ourselves even if it did cause a lot of stress.

Discuss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think more or less , we as adults should learn to stand on our own two feet. However I think if occasionally we need a hand than that's ok too.

What I don't believe is family members who enable each other to be financially irresponsible and catch them continuously when they muck up so to speak...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (09-07-2012),HugsBunny  (09-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think gifts are nice, but not to be expected or planned around.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Izy  (09-07-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm really glad my parents are in a position to help me as I cannot support myself and my child on $380 a week while I am studying. If they didn't, I would have had to give up custody of my child while I crashed on a friends couch.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (09-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-07-2012),sweetseven  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it would be lovely, but life doesn't always go as planned. I think if parents want to help their kids (even if they are adults) then who are we to judge. And if you feel strongly that it isn't a good thing, then you can always say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm really glad my parents are in a position to help me as I cannot support myself and my child on $380 a week while I am studying. If they didn't, I would have had to give up custody of my child while I crashed on a friends couch.
    I think helping on that level is different from, say, paying a house off or giving someone a few grand as a gift. I would hope families would do what they could in that situation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in most cases it's fine. DP was given an amount of money many years ago and still hasn't touched it.

If it's Paris Hilton style, as in, giving your children everything then I don't think they learn the meaning of appreciating things that you've worked toward.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think it would be lovely, but life doesn't always go as planned. I think if parents want to help their kids (even if they are adults) then who are we to judge. And if you feel strongly that it isn't a good thing, then you can always say no.
    Very true, I guess I'm thankful we have always made it to the other side our parents aren't in a position to financially support us but if everything fell apart I know that we could stay with my parents until we picked ourselves up

Sorry this isn't a judgy wudgy thread just genuinely interested to hear others thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I think helping on that level is different from, say, paying a house off or giving someone a few grand as a gift. I would hope families would do what they could in that situation.
    For sure

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    They are giving me financial support though, which was part of the original question. I know the thread stemmed from the money gift thread but the OP expanded the questions to a broader base.