+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn sleeping setup

Hi, I'm about to have my 1st baby and I have no idea what it is meant to sleep in when I bring it home from the hospital? I understand u swaddle them but do they need anything else? It's winter so I assume they need a bit if extra warmth... Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

The midwives will help you out, but just to let you know now: put bub in a singlet, pyjamas/onsie, swaddle and sheet + blanket. No beanie or bub will overheat.

Most importantly keep bub in your room for at least 6 months to help prevent SIDS (read the SIDS guidelines for other tips)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were clueless when we got home (I went home 4 hours after birth) we had a bassinet in our room and a cot in his. We tried the bassinet but every time he gargled spit or something we were up thinking he was choking and he woke every time we rolled over. He ended up in his cot with a good monitor (monitors his heartbeat) and he has slept through the night (9pm to 6am) since he was a month old (midwives said it was fine as he was putting on heaps of weight and eating heaps of a day) he's 15 weeks now
    When you get home try a few things and go with whatever helps you both get the best nights sleep. And just try to relax. When we got our son home he was crying even though he was clean and fed, I think we tried 10 things to settle him in an hour in our panic, no wonder the poor bugger didn't settle!
    Good luck you'll be fine just do what works for your family, you'll find bub will decide how things are done anyway! Haha

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The general idea is that when it's cold, bub will need one extra layer than you do.
    So if you're in a long sleeve top and comfortable, they'll need a singlet and leggings or long socks under their onesie as well if that makes sense.