View Poll Results: Do you have gay relatives or close friends that see your kids a lot?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, I am gay

1 1.96%
  • Yep, we have family members or close friends who are gay

35 68.63%
  • No, we have family members, but we don't ever see them/it's not talked about

0 0%
  • No, we don't have any close relationships with anyone who is gay

12 23.53%
  • other

3 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dad is gay, he came out about 8years ago while still married to my Mum. They are still very close friends and live 2mins apart from each other. Dads partner is always at family events along with my Mum.
    I was raised by the best parents in the world, my brother and sister agree.
    Our kids are raised with 2 Pops and they don't see it as being any different from any other family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Mum is gay and partnered and so are many of my closest friends. My daughter will hopefully grow up like I did not even realising there is a "norm"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

ScarlettLily  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Well obviously I am gay so my kids will be used to it but my little brothers see that regularly. When they first met my DP they thought it was 'weird' but they adore her, and the eldest often tells his peers off if they say "that's gay!" about something they don't like

So is my best friend who works at their school, so they see her and her girl regularly, too.

My great-aunt is also gay
    U know I never really thought about the term, "that's gay" as being offensive. Thanx for enlightening me. I'm a teacher n my students say it allll the time and I never bothered with it...

And in reply, DH has 2 gay cousins, one like a brother to him who will be a big part of ds's life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a male cousin who is gay and dh has a female cousin who is. They both have long term partners and we only see them when there are large family gatherings. Our kids haven't really noticed yet I don't think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mums cousin is gay and my partners aunty is aswell, No problems with it, I think people should have the right to whatever lifestyle they want. I was going to elaborate on this but exhaustion has gotten the best of me and I cant think how to type what I want without it possibly sounding wrong and getting my head bitten off lol

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was younger, my mum had a male friend who was gay, I thought he was so funky and eclectic and fun that I didn't realize it was 'not normal' I also knew about a distant gay aunt and my mums friends mum who were both in lesbian relationships. I guess I was lucky to be bought up without the lables or judgment which made it easier for me when I came out

Both my family and DP's family love us together and my niece calls me Aunty and stays at our place on occasion. She is 5 and hasn't yet questioned our relationship, she has only ever known us together.

One of my cousins often asks if i know DP is a girl and then giggles but wants to come to my wedding! He then proceeds to tell me elton John is gay and that's ok too.

In the early days of coming out my younger brother would say "that's gay.... Oh but not like 'your' gay, that's ok, I mean that's crap"

DP and I are TTC in 2 months with anon donor. Soooo excited! I hope my children will grow up in a tolerant, supportive, loving family/society. I'm so glad to be in this generation

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a strong straight supporter of equal rights especially for the LGBT community my ex Best Friend is gay(no longer friends due to unrelated lifestyle differences) he was a party animal and I became a boring fitness obsessed health freak so we went out separate ways.

I come from a family that says gays are evil and disgusting and deserve to rot in hell even as a child I never understood why people were so against two men/women loving each other and being together.

I have no real personal connection family wise with LGBT community but believe everyone deserves equal rights.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have none, unless they still haven't come out, of course.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know any gay people.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our best man brought his boyfriend with him to our wedding ... certainly became a talking point as the night went on and our relatives realised that they weren't just friends (because friends dont dance like that together .. rofl)

We talk to our boys openly about 'straight' and 'gay' we watch ellen, and although she doesn't mention it much, she has had pictures up of/ interviewed portia on the show, so we chatted about that ... and its often a topic that comes up on the shows we watch (maybe on big bang?) so we chat about it when it happens too ..

I dont know if my boys will be straight or gay - and I'll love that either way ... all that I want from them is tolerance .. of everyone around them - that would make me a proud mum