+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You want a Staffordshire Terrier.
    By far the best dog with kids and more energy than you can poke a stick at!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A beagle! They're awesome with kids!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmo1 For This Useful Post:

JaneDoe  (09-07-2012),Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    We have been thinking long and hard about getting a family pet for some time (we would like a dog), but are having some trouble picking the perfect breed. What we are after is a dog who is GREAT around kids, does not shed much (we both suffer from asthma) and one who is able to exercise a lot, especially running. The most important requirements are the first two, we can work around the latter.

I was thinking about a labradoodle because I don't think they shed? But I don't know anything else about them...

...any help much appreciated
    I have a labradoodles, he sheds a lot, but we were told he would when I got him as he has hair, not fleece or wool. He is adorable, loves kids, even babies, can run for miles but you have to be careful when it is hot as he can get floppy dog syndrome which is common in labs. Overheat and collapse. But seriously he is the best most funny gentle dog I've ever had, he even allows anyone to take food away from him, even from his mouth he just looks at you sad. I even brush his teeth, new thing and he just sits there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOC For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can always adopt a rescue dog. They may not be of any particular breed, but you will know all about their temperament, whether they are good with kids, and whether they shed hair. And they might come house and lead training as a bonus!

Rescue dogs come from foster families who look after them as if they were their own. I'm not referring from a dog that comes straight from the pound.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012),zombiekitty  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a labradoodle that sheds very badly. We were told he wouldn't. He is also very, very big.

Apart from that he is a beautiful natured dog and good with our DD. I wouldn't say he could run for miles though.

We also have a border collie. She doesn't shed too badly, goes and goes and goes and is brilliant with DD. They need a lot of training though - our friend has one that I would never leave DD with because it is just too boisterous.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nerdgirl99 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by perthmumm View Post
    We have an american x English staffy, he is great! Very loving and affectionate. Loves 8month DD, is great with her and our nieces and nephews who range from 2-8 years. Doesnt loose fur and is pretty active (I walk him in the morning with dd and when dp gets home takes him for a run).

If your buying a puppy try and see the parents - we viewed a few different staffy litters before we chose our dog - some parents weren't friendly, so we chose not to pick a puppy from their litter... I think the same would go for most breeds.,, iykwim?
    A staffy!! So beautiful and great with kids, they are really family orientated dogs.
    My staffy boy is crossed with a kelpie though, he's an escape artist which hasn't been easy. He climbs our 6 foot fences!

We also have a non shedding schnoodle. She's beautiful but not so great with people, especially kids! She's quite snappy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jetaime For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    a boxer. lots of energy for exercise but will easily calm down and sleep at quiet time. Amazing with children!!! ours is fantastic and i know a lot of people who have them, they are very clever dogs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by perthmumm View Post
    We have an american x English staffy, he is great! Very loving and affectionate. Loves 8month DD, is great with her and our nieces and nephews who range from 2-8 years. Doesnt loose fur and is pretty active (I walk him in the morning with dd and when dp gets home takes him for a run).

If your buying a puppy try and see the parents - we viewed a few different staffy litters before we chose our dog - some parents weren't friendly, so we chose not to pick a puppy from their litter... I think the same would go for most breeds.,, iykwim?
    I agree that staffies (english) are awesome dogs & really friendly but the reason we didn't get one is because they can be a bit full - on. American staffy is the same thing as a pit - bull so i would stay clear of them, no matter how well they are brought up.

I think that a labradoodle would be your best bet & if you want one that is really low shedding/no shedding than get a multigeneration labradoodle, or a cavoodle if you want something smaller.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to loumia For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have miniature schnauzers, i never find their hair anywhere and I rarely vacuum
    They do need grooming every six to eight weeks
    One is awesome with my baby and toddler, they can even stick their fingers in their mouths but the other can be a bit skittish, but she was six when the first baby came along!
    We have family with boxers staffirs and border collies and I find Im always covered in hair when we leave??

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I'm in a HUGE rush so this is quick, but no, labradoodles do not exist. I call them mongrels with $4000 names.
    There is a registering body {although with no set rules, membership requirements or standards} with breeders under it that pay a fee to have a fake pedigree made up for their dogs.
    The "labradoodle" doesn't even have a standard, even after upteen generations of breeding, and is not hypoallergenic at all.
    So it's the same quality as a pound puppy, only you spend $1500+ and get a fake piece of paper that means nothing.
    They fail so bad in both health and temperament that their original "inventor" has taken out legal action to have his name erased from the records, as he's so ashamed of being linked with such a breeding nightmare. That says it all for me.

There are SO many good pedigree dogs that suit your needs. Don't dismiss a poodle; they are the original hunting dog and are incredibly loyal, intelligent, well balanced breeds. In a pet cut they look no different to a labradoodle {except you're buying a pup that's worth the expense}, if that's the style you like.

If you want, I can make up a list of pedigrees that suit your needs, and the breeders in your state that have them.

I'll be back on tomorrow to update
    I am a vet & i used to be a registered breeder & show toy poodles & believe me, pedigree dogs have a tendency towards serious health problems, no matter how good their breeding is. All of my dogs tested clear genetically & they still had health issues. I also DO NOT recommend poodles for small kids either.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to loumia For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-07-2012)