+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Does a dog breed like this exist?

We have been thinking long and hard about getting a family pet for some time (we would like a dog), but are having some trouble picking the perfect breed. What we are after is a dog who is GREAT around kids, does not shed much (we both suffer from asthma) and one who is able to exercise a lot, especially running. The most important requirements are the first two, we can work around the latter.

I was thinking about a labradoodle because I don't think they shed? But I don't know anything else about them...

...any help much appreciated

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can't guarantee a labradoodle won't shed as it's a cross between 2 breeds and it could always inherit the labrador's coat.

My parents have a Border Collie, he's perfect for your 1st and 3rd points (he 'herds' my brothers - it's hilariously cute!) but he does shed a bit.

No help here!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love cavoodles...beautiful dogs.

also love toy poodles..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Cavoodles are so cute, but they're also a cross.

Poodles are great. And they can exercise a lot but don't need as much as some of the bigger dogs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have/had 2 Cavaliers. One has sadly passed away now.

We had their hair shaved in summer and let their coat grow in Autumn/Winter. These dogs were inside for years and I did not find they shed hair. I am a bit OCD so they wouldn't have been allowed inside if they did. They are absolutely fabulous with kids. With our 2, one dog was very active and one was lazy.

Highly recommend this breed. We will ever only stick with Cavaliers for future pets. The full name is Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    We have been thinking long and hard about getting a family pet for some time (we would like a dog), but are having some trouble picking the perfect breed. What we are after is a dog who is GREAT around kids, does not shed much (we both suffer from asthma) and one who is able to exercise a lot, especially running. The most important requirements are the first two, we can work around the latter.

I was thinking about a labradoodle because I don't think they shed? But I don't know anything else about them...

...any help much appreciated
    Lakeland Terrier - its exactly what you've described

http://www.pedigree.com.au/breeds/?b=118&p=l&pp=

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a poodle growing up (toy poodle) for shedding reasons, but she wasn't very good around children. Maybe it was just her

Thanks
    Reviews
    A client of mine has a Portugese Water Dog ( sort of looked like a butch giant poodle but very cute!!) and seemed really friendly with their kids and apparently don't shed , she runs with him all the time

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    GREYHOUND!

Seriously, look into Greyhounds, get in touch with your local Greyhound Adoption Program (GAP). They are gorgeous, short coated, low shedding dogs, with low grooming maintenance.

They are beautiful family pets, love a good run, but are also the world's fastest couch potatoes!

If you're not keen on a bigger sized dog, look at Whippets, same traits as a Grey, but smaller. It is worth noting though, that despite the size of a Grey, they are cheap to feed, ours costs $30pf on a premium dry diet (Nutro), plus whatever bones we buy

*I can haz typos*

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an american x English staffy, he is great! Very loving and affectionate. Loves 8month DD, is great with her and our nieces and nephews who range from 2-8 years. Doesnt loose fur and is pretty active (I walk him in the morning with dd and when dp gets home takes him for a run).

If your buying a puppy try and see the parents - we viewed a few different staffy litters before we chose our dog - some parents weren't friendly, so we chose not to pick a puppy from their litter... I think the same would go for most breeds.,, iykwim?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to perthmumm For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-07-2012)