+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nursing and Midwifery Study Options....

I'm looking for some advice on study options.

My passion is for midwifery and had been accepted to study this year but deffered (personal reasons). So I know the option of the 3 yr direct entry but have been mulling over whether or not to try and include nursing.

So I guess I have quite a number of questions with regards to which way to go and how to go about it! Here goes...

Even though my main goal is to become a midwife I think I would also enjoy nursing. Is it better to have both nursing and midwifery qualifications when apply for jobs? If so, why? If not, why? Does it make you more employable? Is there more scope for higher pay over time?

I have a degree and a post grad. qual. I've realised I could do a graduate entry nursing degree of 2 years! and then I could go on to do post grad. midwifery. Has anyone done this? Where did you study? What's the best external study option? The benignant of doing it this way would obviously be gaining both quals in 3 years! Can I be employed as a nurse and then be sponsored to study the midwifery? If I did the study in this way, would I be looked upon as more of a nurse than a midwife? I also think if I did it this way I'd be missing out on the 3yrs of study purely dedicated to midwifery and that is the area I am most passionate about....

Oh gosh, that is probably enough questions for now! I hope you can make sense of that mess! SO many questions to ask!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started in nursing originally because direct entry mid wasn't available, if it had been then i would have jumped right in.
    it is my understanding that as a nurse/midwife you would be more 'employable', as in if it came down to a midwife vs a nurse/midwife the latter would probable picked. does that make sense?
    Why don't you do the grad cert and then the post grad midwifery because then you get the best of both worlds and in the same timeframe.
    Besides if you start the nursing and decide it isn't for you then defer it and do the direct entry mid instead

As for places to do external study, i have no idea but Im sure someone else will be able to answer those questions! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to doing post grad mid, it will also depend where you live. Check with your uni that they will still be offering it by the time you finish nursing as I know a few uni's here in qld are and have been getting rid of it.

Which one is better is a decision only you can make.

Which makes you more employable? By memory, if you are a nurse & midwife, there are extra areas within midwifery that you can work, whereas a person with just midwifery qualifications can't. So I guess you need to think about what area you think you may want to go into when you finish. I guess you could also look at it this way, if there is little or no work around for midwives, you could always pick up extra shifts working as an RN instead.

Hope this helps and hopefully someone can give you more advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As you know, I replied in the other thread, but I did want to address what I believe is a misconception here:

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    Why don't you do the grad cert and then the post grad midwifery because then you get the best of both worlds and in the same timeframe.
    I don't believe that it is possible to progress from a nursing qualification directly into a postgraduate midwifery qualification - you need to have some experience working as an RN first. So you would not be doing it in the same timeframe.

The exception would be if you decided to go back after becoming an RN and launch straight into a "graduate entry" BMid (some places are now offering this - I believe Flinders is one?). Essentially this is a BMid but with credit granted for what you've learnt as a nurse. However, I think this course is a minimum of 18 months, so still longer than doing a dual degree in the first place.

Phew - it is confusing, isn't it?

If you wanted to have a look at all of the different nursing, midwifery, graduate-entry nursing, graduate-entry midwifery and postgraduate midwifery courses around, go to the NMBA website - they have spreadsheets showing all of the accredited courses in each of those categories. That'll give you a good idea of what is out there.

And good luck