+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My grandmother sold her house a couple of years ago and made over $1.5m profit. She gave each of her grandchildren (she has 13) a monetary gift that wasn't enough for a house deposit, but once I combined it with a couple of tax returns, some savings and my parents going guarantors on my mortgage, I was able to buy my house, something I never thought possible as a single mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaBamumma View Post
    We have been very very lucky. My in laws gave us a deposit for our house (30k) . They are not rich by any means but just very generous and have worked very hard for what they have. We were absolutely shocked and so grateful. That was about 6 years ago and it still blows me away! There have been other times aswell from them or my parents giving us 'gifts' between $2000- $10,000. Each time we have made sure to use it on something worthwhile like renovating the house or paying off debt. I am fully aware how lucky I am to have received these amounts of money.
    Yes this ^ but it was my dad and he gave us a new SUV aswell, plus a share in some property. He isn't rich but some what well off. He only has myself and one other and he works very hard to give us a strong future. We are SO greatful, we definietly wouldn't be where we are in life without his input. It would be at leat 10 years in the future before we could have what we do now if he hadn't been so generous.

My mother and her hubby and my inlaws have helped along the way too. We were badly flood effected and declined through our insurance and dh couldn't work after a shoulder reconstruction so we really did need the help. We are both very lucky to have our family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing being given or won here yet. Everything I have has been bought with my own hard earned money. At least I can say with a little bit of pride that I have no debts or loans, other than a mortgage. Never even owned a credit card either.

I do know that when my parents pass, I will be receiving enough money to pay off my house in 1 go, but I wouldn't really call that winning money of being gifted. I rather have my parents alive with me than all the money in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have pride too.

I have worked hard too. Most of the money I have won/been given has been handed out.

I think DH gave away $500k in one year..
    so it brings its own pride.

And I am the same..I would give away everything for parents..I yearn for a parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best I have ever won is about $20 but again gotta be in it to win it I'm pretty hopeless with understanding lotto lol

But I am very blessed to have the sweetest in laws that help us out more than they should, there amazing and If I was to ever win money I would defiantly give so much to them they deserve heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. $5k from my parents when we got married and $10k from inheritance of a grandparent passing away...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I got an gift from a dear family friend that passed away. I used it towards a deposit on a house combined with my savings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given money after my mum passed away.

DF won $1400 a few weeks ago on a game at the football club while drunk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do wedding gifts count?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope.

It's kind of a running joke with all our friends. Almost all our friends have been given a 30k or 50k house deposit or given a car from their parents. Then often they get "gifts" of say 10k for a bathroom renovation or 5k when they have a baby. When DP goes out for a punt or a bet, he and his friends will only put down $50 or $100 and win lots (some big wins of 5 or 7k) and my DP never wins. All our friends call us eternally unlucky maybe one day we'll find a four leaf clover.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 09-07-2012 at 01:07.