Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 139
  1. #111
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does proximity really reduce risk? I'm not so sure about that, close proximity promotes complacency look at stats on car accidents they are far more likely to happen within 5km of your own house.

    Risk analysis is a tricky business it depends on each situation, which is why workers do JSA for every job, I don't think anyone can say it reduces the risk without looking at each situation individually.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=loving6;6680590]
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post


    I am talking in general not just about pwp.
    i know my kids and I do everything in my power to keep them safe.
    Having kids with special needs it not a matter of trust, it is about seeing a potential dangerous situation and making it as safe as I can. With 4 yr olds going to school these days and some with unseen special needs, some mothers may feel it makes their child safer to park where it less likely that their child can run into traffic.

    As for me I have a 2 month old so I am not questioned when I pull up in one with my 5/6 kids.
    i would never question another mum as I know that there are a thousand reasons she maybe parked there and none of them are my business.
    I actually consider a 4 year old to still be a young child even if they are in school. And to be honest if you pulled up next to me in a pwp spot with that many kids I'd take my hat off to you and see if you need a hand (unless all your 5/6 kids are 6+ which they aren't).

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm confused. If you have school aged kids, shouldn't they be old enough to be taught/know road safety?

    If school aged kids cant be trusted/controlled in dangerous situations then perhaps the kids shouldnt be taken out in those situations? (pwp spots in a carpark wouldnt prevent all accidents). Online shopping only cots $7.

    If your kid is a toddler different story and I don't think you fit into the "parents with school aged kids using pwp spots tick me off" that the previous poster mentioned.
    My youngest is 4.5, school next year. But certainly 'no baby in sight' as PP said. Mine know and obey road safety rules 95% of the time. But I'm still going to park there, because I want to, it's easier, quicker, and safer.

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Using a pwp spot does not eliminate the risk of taking a child who (for whatever reason) can not follow guidelines. Hence it's just an excuse to use the pwp spots.
    I disagree and think it depends on the car park. The only car park where I use the PWP spots (the other carparks I go to, the PWP are always full, and are not on the level that I like to park on anyway), the spots are next to a footpath that leads about 15 metres to the shopping centre door. It totally eliminates the risk of walking through the carpark.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My youngest is 4.5, school next year. But certainly 'no baby in sight' as PP said. Mine know and obey road safety rules 95% of the time. But I'm still going to park there, because I want to, it's easier, quicker, and safer.
    .
    Well let's hope a mother struggling with a pram, toddler and bundles of shopping doesn't miss out on that pwp spot because you feel entitled.

  5. #115
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well let's hope a mother struggling with a pram, toddler and bundles of shopping doesn't miss out on that pwp spot because you feel entitled.
    I have to agree with Vic Park on this one..it would annoy me to see someone with a 4.5 yr old using a PWP parking spot while seeing another mother struggle as above. I think it's just inconsiderate, while that's not a crime I still think it feeds bad vibes into our society.

    Eta I agree it's a first world problem and I don't post on FB about it or loose sleep over it and I don't let it ruin my day. I just think a bit of consideration goes a long way to make society a happy place

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    Bennos Mummy  (09-07-2012),halloweendee  (09-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-07-2012)

  7. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    795
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My youngest is 4.5, school next year. But certainly 'no baby in sight' as PP said. Mine know and obey road safety rules 95% of the time. But I'm still going to park there, because I want to, it's easier, quicker, and safer..
    Well here's hoping you don't teach your 4.5 yr old that it's ok to do something 'because I want to and it's easier'.

    Like a pp said, it's just plain hypocrisy.

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10,407
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    723
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well let's hope a mother struggling with a pram, toddler and bundles of shopping doesn't miss out on that pwp spot because you feel entitled.
    I know right. Because mothers with young children but still school age never, ever, ever are loaded up with shopping and trying to make sure their kids are staying in a line close to the cars as they walk back to the car. Nope, it's this truly amazing thing that happens...the cars, they all disappear, the bags of shopping, they all go in to one small Mary Poppins style bag, a rainbow appears and they all hold hands and skip along singing it's a wonderful life.


    I love this thread...because I can safely navigate my way through a car park with a 6,4 and 2 year old all by myself, pram or no pram, shopping or no shopping and SURVIVE the ordeal I am really starting to wonder where my round of applause is when I make it back to the car. I think it's time I apply for The Amazing Race...with that little story there I will definitely make it in to the next series. I'm ready for adventure and clearly I can handle a challenge
    Last edited by Areca; 09-07-2012 at 11:25.

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

    Alexander Beetle  (09-07-2012),Ana Gram  (09-07-2012),BluePixie  (11-07-2012),Bonkers  (09-07-2012),CMF  (09-07-2012),Ishtyban  (09-07-2012),MissMuppet  (09-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  10. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lordy.

    Perhaps PWP parks should be in a special fenced off area with a security guard stationed at the entrance to determine if you are suitably burdened enough to park there? They guard could also page people who were allowed to park there while they shopped and call them back to move their car if someone more deserving comes along?

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

    Ana Gram  (09-07-2012),CMF  (09-07-2012),Ishtyban  (09-07-2012),MissMuppet  (09-07-2012),Mopoke  (09-07-2012),SeymourTheBear  (09-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  12. #119
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10,407
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    723
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's arrogant sense of self entitlement (irrespective of your need compared with others) that irks people.

    If you park in a pwp spot without young kids then well you cant really pull your kids up for doing things such as not saying please and thankyou. Because that would be hypocritical. you can't teach your kids manners and courtesy when you don't have them.
    OMGZ please won't somebody think of the children, the poor poor children

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

    Alexander Beetle  (09-07-2012),halloweendee  (09-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  14. #120
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,334
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked
    289
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lol this is ridiculous. Some people here are really plain rude. I get the picture that they would be the type of person to push in front of others in line too, just those arrogant types! For crying out loud, if you struggle to get your child/children in and out of the car with shopping etc, regardless if you are using a pram, then use the spot. If you don't, then don't use them. Its called common courtesy, something that appears lacking a lot this day and age.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

    becca84  (10-07-2012),headoverfeet  (09-07-2012),MinkyJ  (08-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Parents with Prams ?
    By alynaael in forum Sydney North
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 17:14
  2. Parking problems *VENT*
    By wannawannabe in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-09-2012, 16:52
  3. Parking cars......in front of your place
    By MyLittlePrincess in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 16:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Philips AVENT Australia
Pregnancy and early parenthood is an exciting and challenging time, but it’s good to know there is expert advice on hand to ensure that your baby gets the best start in life.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!