Closed Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I made the decision not to even bother with them. They are never free, half are generally taken by people that shouldn't be there or there is some disagreement going on over them. My youngest has no road sense so I carry her, DS is old enough to do what he is told (haha in my dreams!) so he holds my hands and gets barked at should he step out of line. I'm sure there are plenty other parents with needs that could use them and I don't think I'm one of them. I've had my kids scream blue murder through the car park and still it wouldn't make me park there, for me they are just not worth the stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Vicpark..why?
    why do we need fineable PWP spots? please enlighten me.
    we try so hard to have babies they are a gift, not a burden.
    we get handed all kinds of help and now we need special parking..and inspectors..

what next? special dr's to shoo smokers away if a mum and kids are coming.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=loving6;6680558]
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm confused. If you have school aged kids, shouldn't they be old enough to be taught/know road safety?

If school aged kids cant be trusted/controlled in dangerous situations then perhaps the kids shouldnt be taken out in those situations? (pwp spots in a carpark wouldnt prevent all accidents). Online shopping only cots $7.

QUOTE]
    You got to be kidding right.
    My four old school kid does not have road safety down. Really i should never take him anywhere. What about my adhd child that often didn't think before he ran or my asd kid that when she having a meltdown just doesn't see cars. They did have it down at that age either.
    No I'm not kidding. It's about setting rules and boundaries and ensuring your child's safety. If your child can't be trusted to not run off within the boundaries you set then a pwp spot isnt going to magically eliminate the danger... Hence it's just an excuse to park closer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

JDiddy  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I'm not kidding. It's about setting rules and boundaries and ensuring your child's safety. If your child can't be trusted to not run off within the boundaries you set then a pwp spot isnt going to magically eliminate the danger... Hence it's just an excuse to park closer.
    How old are your kids VicPark? My kids have no special needs and what you said is still near on impossible sometimes. What about the special needs kids who aren't capable of working within those boundaries. That's a pretty simplistic and unfair way of looking at things IMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    Vicpark..why?
    why do we need fineable PWP spots? please enlighten me.
    we try so hard to have babies they are a gift, not a burden.
    we get handed all kinds of help and now we need special parking..and inspectors..

what next? special dr's to shoo smokers away if a mum and kids are coming.
    Ok either get rid of them altogether or introduce fines for incorrect use. Because watching fat and/or lazy/ self entitled able bodied people use the spots marked for someone else it's not a solution.

I personally think they are a nice gesture as many new parents are nervous and have to take a tonne of crap out with them when they have a baby. Try juggling lots of shopping parcels and a pram, baby cries and vomits everywhere. And your car keys are hidden somewhere in the baby bag.. Etc Young babies can't strap themselves in a car seat or follow simple rules ("please do
    Not vomit until mummy has put the shopping parcels away, strapped you in the car seat and packed the pram up.")

Don't get me started on smoking in public...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    How old are your kids VicPark? My kids have no special needs and what you said is still near on impossible sometimes. What about the special needs kids who aren't capable of working within those boundaries. That's a pretty simplistic and unfair way of looking at things IMO.
    Using a pwp spot does not eliminate the risk of taking a child who (for whatever reason) can not follow guidelines. Hence it's just an excuse to use the pwp spots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    [QUOTE=VicPark;6680568]
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post

I am talking in general not just about pwp.
    i know my kids and I do everything in my power to keep them safe.
    Having kids with special needs it not a matter of trust, it is about seeing a potential dangerous situation and making it as safe as I can. With 4 yr olds going to school these days and some with unseen special needs, some mothers may feel it makes their child safer to park where it less likely that their child can run into traffic.

As for me I have a 2 month old so I am not questioned when I pull up in one with my 5/6 kids.
    i would never question another mum as I know that there are a thousand reasons she maybe parked there and none of them are my business.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh, I catch the bus.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Using a pwp spot does not eliminate the risk of taking a child who (for whatever reason) can not follow guidelines. Hence it's just an excuse to use the pwp spots.
    No it doesn't eliminate it but it certainly reduces the amount of time a parent may have to struggle through a carpark with their special needs child. How long has it been since you've struggled with kids?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I usually dont bother participating with the narky threads, but here goes..

Our shopping centre has dedicated seniors parking, closer to the doors than pwp (fair enough) I personally wouldn't park there, as I'm not a senior. In no way, can I interpret that to include myself, unless I have a senior in the car.. "Parents with prams" as a term, is also open to interpretation. Everyone will read it, then they will decode what the sign is meant to mean in their opinion.

I agree, it is up to parents to keep their children safe, not shopping centers. The shopping centre simply offers these spaces. The pwp at our shopping centre is just out of the way, the parks seem no bigger, but they aren't in the main traffic flow.. So for me to get my 2 young kids out of the car there, is less dangerous than if I were to park where there are cars passing constantly. No matter where I park, this is my priority, I feel like I can manage the rest after I get my kids Safely from the car and to a walkway.. But, I agree, it's just a courtesy.

My interpretation of that sign, is that if i have kids at an age where they go in a transportation device in order for me to get into and around the shopping centre, i can use them. Given that i either put my 3yr old in a trollry or a pram, a decision made purely depending how much i need from the shops. (I cant fit a weeks groceries under my pram) Either way, i have a child, sitting in something that i will use to get her from the car, into the shopping centre and back. The fact that i dont fold it and put it in my car when i return seems irrelevant. if there isn't one of these parks, oh well... i will park away from the main traffic flow. if I only have the baby (in the ergo) I wouldn't park in pwp. To me the fundamental part, is the pushing of the young child into the centre.

The sun is shining, (well is is here ) the grass is green. Why sweat the little things.